first engine start video and a thank you

Firstly I would like to offer my thanks to the kind people on this forum who have helped me by answering questions regarding the rover v8 engine I've put in my kitcar. You have made me feel very welcome even though this isn't a 4x4 project!

The link to the entire build project is here....
http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=35307&hl=

but here are the highlights...
this is a video of the fist start-up;

and a pics of the engine...
image_zpsbe6219f4.jpg

Thanks guys.

The electric water pump just about keeps it cool at tick-over and the electric fan kicks in every now and then to help. Still awaiting an mot so I can see how well it is on the road and also how good (or not) the cooling system really is!

I'm also amazed how hot everything on the engine gets!! Going from a cast iron pinto engine where the rocker cover feels warm to an all ali engine where everything you touch is bl00dy hot was a little surprising!!

• 1 year later...

Well over 12 months later and I finally managed a rolling road session at Pete Burgess in alfreton.

Around 2k miles to run in the rebuilt engine, and to be honest it ran faultless this last 12 months with the exception of a minor electrical gremlin.

The only thing I've modified to the engine since the first start video is the addition of a 3" k&n filter and x-stream filter lid....and a kenlowe fan (those things are amazing compared to the cheap equivalents)

First run of the morning;

258.7hp (225.0 at wheels) and 286.2 ft-lbs (260.2 at wheels)

Final run after Pete had worked his magic;

269.0hp at 4900rpm (233.9 at wheels)

303.4 ft-lbs at 3800rpm (275.8 at wheels)

Scary stuff having the car strapped onto the rollers screaming at 6000rpm and 100+mph!!!!

I had a great morning at the rolling road. The fuelling was spot on and needed no adjustment....all the adjustment was done on the megajolt map to give a better torque curve (first run had very flat torque between 2.5k and 4k).

Pete didn't say a great deal during the morning until the end of the session when he was very complimentary about the engine and car.....which is nice to hear from someone who clearly knows his way around a v8!!