Td5 air flow meter upgrade

is there a way that I can upgrade the airflow meter of a td5? i recently had a problem with my airflow meter but my td5 was going like a rocket but it left a trial of smoke behind. it is fitted with a performance chip and an upgraded intercooler. we did an diagnostic check and the airflow meter was not functioning properly. we replaced it with a new one and it seemed that now its working properly. when i went to try it i noticed some major changes.

1. no more smoke

2. when i floor the accelerator, it takes a bit of time for the engine to kick in. then it kicks and goes like a rocket.

so with a bad airflow meter acceleration was immediate, while with a new airflow meter it ttakes time to accelerate. is there a way i can upgrade the airflow meter on my td5?

I don't think there is such a thing for the simple reason that it is purely a device which measures the volume of air flowing through it and advises the ECU accordingly.

What you need to do is ensure the maximum volume of cool air is flowing into the engine. You have aready done the intercooler so other items to look at are the air filter (try a K&N) and the EGR. By EGR I mean removing it by use of a kit like to one sold by Bell Auto Services. This removes the valve and allows a smoother air flow.

Hope this makes sense.

Usually on the Td5 is goes the other way, you find the airflow output reading from a duff AFM drops slightly (c.20% on the one I was looking at last week) but not enough to trigger a fault code, and the engine is lethargic.

The reason it will be doing what yours was, is because the engine was thinking that more air was getting into the engine so increased the fuelling accordingly, and while there was no more air to burn the extra fuel, overfuelling does give extra power up to a point, though also extra smoke as you found out. Much the same as turning up the fuelling on a 300Tdi without doing anything else.

It's an interesting twist on the idea of "chipping" a vehicle and one I'd never thought of, I wonder if you could "fiddle with" an AFM maybe by inserting a variable resistor in the circuit somehow and giving yourself a "power control" in the cab, that would be quite cool :)

You could also have a big red "more power Egor" button in the middle of the dash, for overtaking annoying people, to give a temporary boost :)

It shouldn't be that hard to do if you knew the resistance output of the AFM at different temperatures and had ready access to a range of basic electronic bits and bobs from RS or something.