No oil in the oil cooler

4x4disco

No oil in the oil cooler

1996 Discovery 300tdi auto: This weekend I removed the engine radiator, while undoing the radiator oil pipe I was surprised by the lack of oil that drained out of them (maybe half a cupful), DO I have a problem?

When re assembled the engine oil did not even need topping up?

…………………………………….

The reason for the removal was to replace the air con fans and wire them to run off a manual switch.

The Auto gearbox oil temp light tends to come on without what I would call a lot of provocation and the kenlow does not kick in until the engine decides it’s needed.

I can now switch on the twin cooling fans when off roading or towing.

Now about this lack of oil in the cooler???

I dont think the capacity of these oil coolers is all that large, so i dont think i would be worried about the amount you describe. I tried to flush the one through on my old 200tdi rad before i sent it off for a recore and you couldnt get much to pass through it. They seem to be a simple tube (more or less) that sit in the side of the rad.

agreed, the basic so called oil cooler is a bare copper pipe of around 12mm dia that is located in the right hand side of the radiator in the cross flow header and is less than 600mm in total length so the total capacity would be less than 1/4 of a litre not much at all, even so on my 300Tdi it doesnt drain back into the sump so something must be wrong if yours is.