TD5 aluminium radiator

Hallgeir

Hello all.

My radiator failed on me this weekend. Car is Discovery 2A TD5 2003MY.

While searching for prices for a replacement radiator, I came across this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-DEFENDER-2-4-TD4-2-5-TD5-ALUMINIUM-ALLOY-RACE-RADIATOR-RAD-/390631351015?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af37162e7

Has anybody tried it? Will it give more cooling?

I have asked the seller, but not gotten a response, is the radiator old style with both small connections fully open or new style with closed and restricted?

Does anybody know this?

Any better options out there?

best regards,

Hallgeir

also I am told Aluminium is a better material for heat exchange.

I'm not sure that it is is it? I'm pretty sure there was a discussion on this in the international forum on the thread discussing HFHs v8 rad. Some of the more knowledgeable chaps suggested that heat transfer was more efficient in a copper rad.

With the whole uprated rad thing, I'm of the opinion that unless you have a highly tuned truck that is overheating as a result of lack of a standard rad cooling capacity, then there is no point spending money on the 'uprated' ones. In a way, I have kind of proven this for myself by wasting a bit of money fitting an uprated heavy duty (4 core) rad from M&D to my mildly tuned 200tdi. It has made bugger all difference to the cooling. But, then it wasn't overheating before, so why would it?! I guess I just potentially have more cooling capacity that I probably won't need anyway!

I'm not sure that it is is it? I'm pretty sure there was a discussion on this in the international forum on the thread discussing HFHs v8 rad. Some of the more knowledgeable chaps suggested that heat transfer was more efficient in a copper rad.

With the whole uprated rad thing, I'm of the opinion that unless you have a highly tuned truck that is overheating as a result of lack of a standard rad cooling capacity, then there is no point spending money on the 'uprated' ones. In a way, I have kind of proven this for myself by wasting a bit of money fitting an uprated heavy duty (4 core) rad from M&D to my mildly tuned 200tdi. It has made bugger all difference to the cooling. But, then it wasn't overheating before, so why would it?! I guess I just potentially have more cooling capacity that I probably won't need anyway!

My disclaimer was "I am told" but then again it could be that I read it in one of the comics that I subscribe to.

I always thought the 200Tdi over cooled a lot of the time even with the standard rad. :unsure:

Copper is more conductive than aluminium and could be a better option, but aluminium is cheaper, stronger and weldable.

I dont think overcooling is a big problem, have removed viscous fan and fitted Kenlowe. When water is too cold the thermostat

will close the radiator off?

Have some tuning, de-EGR, de-CAT, de-midpipe, large intercooler, VNT and remap.

Most of the time heat is not a problem, but cannot tow a heavy(2-3 tons) trailer uphill for very long before temperature starts to move.

Is 42mm wider than standard? Thought that was just what the standard was?

best regards,

Hallgeir

• 2 weeks later...

Having received the radiator, it is neither the old type nor the new. Both lower connections are fully open, but no internal baffles.

Does the baffle really matter?

The restriction, is it important? There is a second restriction on the inlet to the fuel cooler so you would think the 1 restriction would control the flow.

best regards,

Hallgeir