Series 2a - non starter

Bigant

Hi

Finally got the series 2a back on the road this summer and have had great fun driving around with the roof off.

However, she hasn't been started for about 4 weeks and now she won't start? It is as though there is not enough power in the battery to turn the engine over, however, I have fitted a brand new battery and the result is the same.

I am guessing I have a wiring issue somewhere, maybe an earth cable problem?

Any help will be much appreciated

Bigant

Petrol or diesel?

Start with earths - you could try a jump lead between the battery earth and the engine. Otherwise find the earths and check/clean them.

Diesels have a few external connections on the starter which can become loose/corroded - worth checking. Check all heavy connections.

Starter brused can stick - sharp tap with a hammer can free them temporarily. Has been known for the starter fixing into the flywheel to corrode - preventing good earthing.

All terminals can suffer from corrosion - worth checking for warmth after operating the starter. If its warm or hot - dismantle and clean.

You can put a voltmeter from battery earth to engine - and operate starter. Anything more than about 0.5 volt is excessive - some would say 0.25 volt. DON'T use an amps setting - it may overload the meter of there's a problem.