TD5 coolant bleed screw broken - aaargh

whilst taking photos of my A/C pump for another post, I noticed coolant around the top bleed screw - I went to tighten it, but the top half broke off in my fingers!!! I went for quick drive and there is coolant actively exiting the system when under pressure - enough to how nearby air intake housing...

Part number as per LRCat is PYP10008L

Can anyone tell me is it possible to replace (even temporarily) with a bolt - if so what size? I need to last 24 hours or ~220 kms, or more, as it will take that long to get one from my local breaker up country. This is my daily commute and am currently at work. I am really not a fan of stop leak and would rather not go there if poss

ALSO would I be able to easy-out the remaining plastic thread or should I get a replacement top hose sent down while I'm at it???

I'm glad that for once it is a cheap part, and I suspect I may have saved myself from a very expensive repair - just goes to show it always pays to check the forums and take the odd photo...

thanks in advance

Be very careful as with out the top part the remaining can fall into the top hose, and disappear into the coolant system. Don't ask how I know this......... But what I did was to remove top hose then use a washer, nut and bolt, with silicon sealer on it, to block the hole, this worked for the time I required, and then I replaced the entire top hose assembly. And if the remaining bit does drop into the system whilst trying to get it out, it only goes as far as the thermosat.

Andy

Thanks Andy - I'm thinking I should try and get alternative transport home to reduce the risks, have ordered a top hose and thermostat as figure I may as well replace that while coolant is out.

I'm a bit paranoid, but thinking if insert does drop out, it would be bloody hard to get it back in the hole...

BTW - when I spoke to my mechanic he said that they NEVER touch the bleed screws - they bleed coolant using the small hose feed en-route to heater, because of known issues / lesson learnt