Handbrake lever issues

BeastieBob

I have had to change my centre console on my 96 Disco Commercial Auto due to damage. When refitting over the handbrake lever sat in a vertical position the lever has gone very stiff and the ratchet no longer works. Had since removed the console and handbrake lever to oil up to see if that would help to no avail. Can anyone help?

The pawl cam that engages with the ratchet teeth in the handbrake lever can rotate too far when you raise the handbrake to vertical.

You can move the handbrake back to it's normal position, but the teeth on the pawl will not be facing the teeth on the ratchet, so the back of the pawl just slides over the ratchet.. :blink:

I've made that sound really complex, but nothings bust, you just need to get the inards lined up - from memory if you raise the lever vertically, press the button in all the way, and at the same time lower the lever to the horizontal, it should flip the pawl back over :)

• 2 weeks later...