Ignition key removal 300tdi EDC

basquen

Hi,

Since yesterday the ignition key no longer goes to position '0' so it can't be removed. Auto box in P, transfer engaged. I can hear the inhibitor click when pressing the brake pedal and I can run through the gears OK. Does anyone know what controls the barrel and prevents the key going no further back than position '1' ?

This is on top of breaking down yesterday whilst on the road. Engine just died. All the symptoms of the fuel cut-off solenoid failing but pulled it out this morning and it is working fine (even tried without plunger). Fuel arriving OK at filter bleed screw using lift pump. Engine cranks fine but no hint of firing up.

Could the two issues be related ?

1997 300Tdi EDC japanese import

I've now solved the key problem. There is a solenoid at the back of the barrel which moves a pin to enable the key to go from '1' back to '0'; With the cover off all it needs is a flick of a finger to release the mechanism.