defender 300TDI - ENGINE RUNNING ROUGH ON IDLE...- what to check

Hi Guys...driving up a relatively steep hill at cruising speed and when I stopped at the top, it started shuddering, like as if the fuel was low...it may have been (fuel gauge not working properly :)/ not getting enough fuel...went to garage and filled up....been running like that for about a week now...changed the fuel lift pump - can feel a difference in performance, but still running rough..

what else can I check

Hi Pete,

Did that..changed fuel filter, cleaned sedimenter, new air filter, new lift pump, added injector cleaner into fuel....BTW what's an italian tune up :) is that by any chance given the motor a good burn...if so, yes i did..still nothing.

I read on the forum somewhere that i can try blowwing compressed air down the line to the fuel tank...i presume open the fuel inlet cap befor doing this..

think I'd be inclined to start looking at the other side of the pump. If you have changed the filter sedimenter and lift pump. Do you have a good supply of clean fuel when you crack the 10mm bleed nut on the wing filter when the engine is running? Is the rough running there on idle or just under load?

One other thought is air getting in the leak back tubing, have a look for diesel around your injectors with the rubber cover off the engine. The rubber tubing perishes between the injectors. can lead to an airlock like a misfire on a petrol.

After that i recon it's time to start investigating the injectors, unlikely dirt has got that far, but maybe 1 is sticky.

P.S how old is your cambelt?

Hi Pete...

Did replace leak back pipes when I did the filter and lift pump. On start up it feels smooth for a few seconds and then it gets lumpy...it seems alright when under load though, just lumpy on idle.

I'm wondering if the cam belt jumped a tooth maybe...it was changed in December and have only done about 3000km...

without spending a lot of money, or any in fact, you could rule the belt timing out by fitting the belhousing/flywheel timing pin and then take the inspection plate off the injection pump and check the timing pin fits there. If the timing is off it will show up as a misalignment. You can make your own locking pins with a wading plug for the bellhousing drilled for the pin dia think it is around 5mm the pump pin you can again use a 9.5mm? drill check the tech archive for proper sizes

Good luck

Pete