Fuel Gauge not working.

This is going to be a long shot but, I've just bought an E reg 110 from a friend. Originally it had a V8 but this was changed a few years ago for a 200tdi due to the fuel costs, as he was using it as his daily drive.

I never noticed when I picked the car up but the fuel gauge does not work, the car runs fine, so i'm not sure where is the best place to look. I'm new to defenders although I do have a 300tdi Disco1.

Any ideas where to look to get it working would be very helpful as i am told its not good to run a diesel out of fuel.

Sorry for the stupid question, I've never looked at the wiring for the fuel sender, and it looks like the wiring has been hacked by someone in the cars history, which wire should I take of the sender and connect to earth.

Is it possible to run a new wire straight form the sender into the fuel gauge.

Disconnect the wire(s) right at the sender. There may be a single wire or more than one. Connect each one in turn to earth - if more than one wire you may have a low fuel warning lamp. If gauge then shoots up to full, then sender is faulty. If nothing happens then either the wire to the gauge is duff or the gauge itself is duff.

Thanks for that. I have having a look into this over the weekend.

I've only had the car a few weeks, so still getting to know the old girl. Not having a lot of info to go on is causing a bit of a headache, I do know the engine was changed a few years ago, so I'm not sure what age the 200tdi is and I have been told that there is a difference in the fuel senders. Hopefully I have ordered the right one if it needs changing.

Not familiar with a 110 sender, but on the 90, there is a ring which holds it in, you knock it round on the tabs and it lines up with a cut out in the surround. The ring can then be removed and the sender pulled out. I would have thought 110 tanks would be similar.