d1 trayback build

ok, another shakedown run yesterday and some new issues.

one is i tore all 4 engine/gearbox mounts. thats gonna be a fun fix.......

another is the need for a new top rad hose. saw that coming but got cheap and didnt replace it. my bad.

last is i managed to discharge both batteries so im looking at a alternator upgrade. i dont want to go duel (dont know if it can be done) but a upgrade to approx 150A would be nice. anyone know if you can get one to fit a 2.0mpi?

ok, another shakedown run yesterday and some new issues.

one is i tore all 4 engine/gearbox mounts. thats gonna be a fun fix.......

another is the need for a new top rad hose. saw that coming but got cheap and didnt replace it. my bad.

last is i managed to discharge both batteries so im looking at a alternator upgrade. i dont want to go duel (dont know if it can be done) but a upgrade to approx 150A would be nice. anyone know if you can get one to fit a 2.0mpi?

I know its not cheap but RedWinch do some BEEFY alternators to fit most, check them out.

Are you on V or flat belt?

• 1 year later...

ok this has been a while. i also seem the have been split posting in this thread and

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=82418

that one.

so.

having built the trayback ive made quite a few modifications to it. first was to stick a 200tdi in it. (see above link, last page)

then i broke the brakes (that was fun !) and necessitated a new pair of front calipers disks and master and a few new brake pipes.

then i took the rear lift springs off and fitted a longer set of standard rate springs, this gave me my articulation back but the wheels started to hit the tray, so i remade that and it started to look a bit better and less ghetto!

after that its been laid up for about 6 months whilst i renovated my new house. that and i blew the radiator and a cv joint, and the winch stopped braking when the power was released. that was another inconvenient time to find that out!

so recently i've fitted a new cv, (not ashcrofts unfortunately...) and started the rebuild to get it up to a better standard.

first things first was to get the cv sorted, that took me a while to get round to but got done. then i moved the fuel tank to accommodate the rear rad install, the p38 rad i got as a warranty replacement for the 200tdi one is exactly the right size. that was more luck than judgement i can assure you!!! so i connected the oil cooler in and out together, as i decided i'm never going fast enough for it to do anything anyway, stuch the new rad on the cage stays and bobs your uncle.

i replumbed the fuel system, and today i've been doing the handbrake and front winch rebuild.

no wonder the handbrake wasn't working!!!! the expander was completely seized as was the adjuster. by the way, how do you bleeding well get the boot on the adjuster? i haven't managed yet and i gave it a good half hour!

i just need a new ntc6125 handbrake cable and the little clippy things now and i'm good to go. tried to retrofit a 200tdi version as i have the bracket at the transfer box end but no joy, the handbrake end is too different.

the winch i couldn't find anything wrong with bar a fair about of old hard grease. so after reading up on the best way to make the freespool operate without having samson pulling on the rope i cleaned it all up and reassembled with oneshot grease. much easier to turn now and should work fine. if this works out ill do the same to the rear winch. but that's about a year newer so isn't in need of a service like the front.

and that's about it for now. just need to plumb in the cooling system (already run the solid pipes...) and find a fan cowl that fits.

at least i have a garage now but i cant work in it, but at least i can weld in it of i reverse the landy out first :) pics wise i seem to be missing the entire section where i redid the tray. (which i am now redoing again to move the battery and winch electrics to below the tray.)

plans for the future is to remake the cage front half to come inside the wings to give me a narrower track and cut most of the rocksliders off for the same reason. then im going to cut out and remake the rear hoop so the angle of the bottom bends are max 45* rather than 90* (should have done my homework the first time!) that should make it a lot stronger.

as you all know, these are neverending projects.......

and as this has all been written with the help of a few bevvies, instead of sorting the pics im just going to dump the whole lot here in some sort of chronological order (i hope) and leave you to decipher what goes where. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

so a bit more has gotten done.

cooling system completely piped up tested and working fine. wont get hot enough to turn fans on. i have 2 cheap ebay fans attached straight to the core. ive got a temp sensing circuit to put in im hoping i can wire it to the cars temp sensor. i have also replaced the seals and wheel bearings on the rear axle, fixed both winches after a lot of faffing, turns out the isolator for the rear whilst it was passing enough current to test ok wasn't passing enough to run the winch. a quick emery paper of the black contacts inside and its fine now. i of course missed the competition but that was mostly work related (just didnt have time to work on it) so now just to do is repair the steering box (lower shaft seal is leaking.) and wire up the fans and do some tidying up of the front end to make it derivable again.

oh and change the side repeater on the lorry that i whacked off on the way home from the mot :oops:

ive been working more than taking pics so ill take more tomorrow if i get a chance but those that i do have follow...

059_zpsv0rwuiwq.jpg
062_zps32mtlf4e.jpg
070_zpsby8k62fa.jpg
071_zpsunagf3uk.jpg

so this is now done but i STILL havent gotten around to taking more pictures...... and driving it has been put on hold again... because i need to get my new workshop built. "why" i hear you saying... well i had a moment of weakness and decided i have too much capital tied up in the lorry which simply isnt getting used enough. so i need to sell my lorry, sell my car and buy a 4x4 tow car i thought to my self. so off to ebay i went. bevvie in hand. you know where this is going dont you. £900 later ive bought this...

005_zpshnzothfg.jpg

007_zpsx019notn.jpg

only issue is its in sodding london! so off i go to get it. took me 13 hours on sunday. and the reason i need the workshop post haste? well it doesnt exactly run. the top end of the engine looks like a bomb has hit it. should be fun!

glutton for punishment me. still full leather climate control auto and soo nice to drive (dad had one back in 03 when they had just come out...)