Removing rear corner panel

catsinthewelder

I bought my first Land Rover last week, it's a 93 Discovery 200tdi 3 door. I got it from a friend who did point out where it needs welding and a few other issues.

post-99005-0-80233700-1395100004_thumb.jpg

The most obvious is that it has a big dent in the osr wing that has split the weld between the wing and the corner panel (split covered with tape to keep out the weather).

post-99005-0-66744500-1395100050_thumb.jpg

post-99005-0-53678300-1395100076_thumb.jpg

I've tried to access the dent from the inside to push it out by removing the folding seat and trim but rather inconveniently there is an inner wing in the way. While putting it all back together I spotted that the corner panel appears to be screwed on inside the boot aperture.

I'd run out of time by that point but if I had unscrewd those screws (and assuming the welds had split all the way down) would the corner panel have come off?

It's our only roadworthy vehicle at the moment so I don't want to get stuck with it in bits and no way of getting it back together.

It's screwed on with self tappers down the door shut, accross the top about level with the gutter but on the inside, and bolted with 6mm screws along the waistline - again inside behind the trim, you'll need to take the the plastic c pillar finisher off - 7mm socket I think from the inside through the pillar - again behind the trim, then grind / cut / whatever 3 rivets off behind it, AND all the joints are bonded with black sickaflex type sealant.

Go to the scrappy and take one off, then you have one to fix yours and know how it comes off - it'll take a good couple of hours to get off wihout causing any damage.

Steve