This might sound unlikely (and maybe I’m loosing it) but I cant seem to find any reasonably priced, reasonable quality, surface mounting, interior lights.

Ideally they would be 12 V, LED and have a switch

Any advice / links gratefully pursued

I've used multiple LED Ring stick on driving lights at 9.99 a pair - as beloved of Saxo drivers. then a small hole in the panel to feed the juice through and a 'ring main' behind the trim along the roof inner lip. I would post pictures but I can't, so I won't - but it works very well. So well in fact that I now use it as one of the options on clients vehicles

Depends on what you want the lights to do.

Because I converted my 90 to a soft top I lost the interior light, but I recently installed a strip of LEDs under the odd little dip on the passenger side of the dash and under the steering cowl on the drivers side. Both are switched by the normal interior light switch down by the hazard switch and both just run on 12v so just get soldered straight to the old wiring.

On the passenger side I used a cheap 3528 strip like the ones below and it is a perfect fit without any trimming. They are bright white and great for map reading as they don't throw out so much light that it bothers me when I'm driving.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-30CM-15-SMD-3528-LED-DECORATION-RED-LIGHT-CAR-DAYTIME-LED-STRIPS-12V-UK-STOCK-/111298490982

On the drivers side I used waterproof SMD 5050 LEDs which I bought initially for under the kitchen cupboards so they are a yellow white rather than a bright white. The 5050s throw out far more light than the 3528s so I only cut and used 3 LEDs from the roll and it lights up the drivers footwell better than any bulb system I've seen.