re-using rear fog switch - 02 TD5 Defender

Hi guys, we don't need to have the rear fog light in NZ, so I am planning on replacing it with second reverse light (LEDs) - I have that sussed, but am thinking I might re-use the rear fog switch for say the front flood/spot lights (they currently using a different / non-standard style switch). I realize that it is not for switching loads directly and that it needs to switch a relay - what I'm trying to work out is that the rear fog light only turns on when the headlights are running. I'd like to keep it so I can turn on the front spots regardless of the headlight status.

I'd like to keep the existing wiring intact in case for any reason I need to revert

I'd like to be able to wire it up the switch with the usual illumination etc. - does anyone have access to a simple wiring diagram showing which terminal is for what that they could share with me??

I do have the wiring diagrams but not the band width to up load anything at the moment.

You need to look for the fog light relay which is stuck behind the instrument binnacle. The connector to this should have a blue with purple trace wire which comes from fused headlight relay output and provides the headlight on signal. If you frig this terminal to be high (on) then relay should work as you want. Behind the dash there are a number of headers which common up different supplies look for either white or purple to provide this frigged live feed, white is fed from the ignition switch pos 1, purple is a fused permanent live - would suggest you use a white otherwise you are holding relay energised all the time.

You then want to identify the red with yellow trace in the large multi pin connector to the rear wiring loom which is your live feed to the rear fogs which you then need to divert for your front lights. Be aware that the relay is rated for 2 or 3 21watt lamps. LR don't tend to provide much margin on their electrics to upgrade much.

Hope this helps think I've seen wiring diagrams in the tech archive previously.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

I had the dash apart today and had a quick look at the existing switch used for spot / fog lights (wired up by previous owner). it only has 2 wires, one (blue) connected directly to the White Orange wire of the ignition, the other (black) disappearing thru the firewall I suspect this goes directly to a relay under the bonnet somewhere.

I will hopefully get a chance to have a decent look and re-wire to the non-used rear fog switch in a fortnight on my next break, but thank you heaps for your response

Regards

David

I would expect the black to be an earth - easy to check with meter, set to continuity and listen for the buzz normally. Blue I think is normally feed to front lights so may go direct without relay - listen for it clicking when you turn the lights on.

Does the switch illuminate? you may find the black core provides the earth for that.

Rob