300 TDI gearbox / transfer box noise

Hi

I have a very heavy noise coming from my gearbox / transfer box or front diff.

If you put the transfer box in neutral and go through the gearbox does the gearbox still operate (but no drive to wheels)?

I am trying to identify which part is at fault for the noise.

Any ideas?

Yes the gearbox will still work, but seeing as you've put the transfer box into neutral you have disconnected the drive from the gearbox to the wheels-as the gearbox drives the transfer box and then the transfer box drives the axles-then you get motion to the wheels

John

The best way I find is to the jack the vehicle up onto axle stands and then run it wheel free off the ground at roughly what ever road speed your find the issue at, with the help of an assistant listen on the vehicle to try and isolate which area the noise is originating from. Once you have established which component is appering to be at fault, its normally worth taking an oil sample, you will probably find a large amount of metal in the oil.