Steering box drop arm

FITZ

will the drop arm only go back in one position or are the splines such that it can be slightly out.

I can get full lock in one direction and half inch short of the stop bolt in the other direction (both bolts wound right in).

I appreciate the other alternative is a drag link adjusted to the wrong length but the drop arm in the wrong position seems more likely if it's possible.

I t's a four bolt box on a 1989 range rover but it's the same as a 4 bolt on Defender / Disco

will the drop arm only go back in one position or are the splines such that it can be slightly out.

I can get full lock in one direction and half inch short of the stop bolt in the other direction (both bolts wound right in).

I appreciate the other alternative is a drag link adjusted to the wrong length but the drop arm in the wrong position seems more likely if it's possible.

I t's a four bolt box on a 1989 range rover but it's the same as a 4 bolt on Defender / Disco

The drop arm will only go on in one position - one of the splines is much larger and acts like a woodruff key.

Have you changed the drop arm? I bought a replacement drop arm a while ago, and found that the keyway was cast in a slightly different place to the one that came off....

Matt

The drop arm will only go on in one position - one of the splines is much larger and acts like a woodruff key.

Have you changed the drop arm? I bought a replacement drop arm a while ago, and found that the keyway was cast in a slightly different place to the one that came off....

Matt

OK I guess that rules out the drop arm theory.

For the record I've not changed any steering components other than the track rod. Fitted a heavy duty job but made the same lenght as the one that came off and alignment checked out OK. That was some time ago. I've only just noticed the lack of lock in one direction.

Could be the steering damper, espscially if I've damged it.

Could be the drag link. Would a 2" lift have much effect on the lenght of the drag link? (Once again lift was some time ago)

Re. other suggestions... willing to learn but

Steering U/Js I can't see how they can be wrong as the have a locator bolt?

Steering wheel can that have any affect?

I guess another one could be someting in the steering box stoping full movement.

IIRC steering uj can fit onto bottom of steering column in any orientation, other joints are 'keyed' like you say.

Disconnect drag link, set drop arm in centre position (count turns lock to lock and then half), set wheels straight ahead, connect up drag link without moving drop arm or wheels adjusting length of drag link if necessary, then if the steering wheel is out of centre position and it bothers you remove it and replace in appropriate position.

IIRC steering uj can fit onto bottom of steering column in any orientation, other joints are 'keyed' like you say.

Disconnect drag link, set drop arm in centre position (count turns lock to lock and then half), set wheels straight ahead, connect up drag link without moving drop arm or wheels adjusting length of drag link if necessary, then if the steering wheel is out of centre position and it bothers you remove it and replace in appropriate position.

OK thanks, will be having a look at it Friday, as long as it's stopped raining :)