adjusting brake vacuum

xychix

I've found (after cleaning my brakes) that I still need to try and kill the brake pedal in order to get brake force.

after dis-connecting the brake vacuum rod with the engine running I found loads more vacuum with the lever more to the front of the car. So i set the knobs on the rod to almost maximum and reconnected it all.

Braking appears better (could even have a proper 2-frontwheel slip on gravel road).

1. Is there a guide to set this?

2. how to find the optimum?

3. what happens if it's to far either end?

Ok, if you make the rod to long... it smokes black like hellll (as if you would impose on your competitors in a tractor pulling).

However with some fiddling and kicking the brakes hard I did manage a wheel slip (1 wheel, the one that was cleaned.. see other topic) on paved road!!

It sounds to me as if you could have a vacuum-leak and there is no 'stored' vacuum being held in the tank to operate the brakes so you are only getting servo-assistance from the instantaneous amount of 'suck' the engine provides on a closed throttle.

There should be a non-return valve of some sort in the connecting pipe between the rod-controlled flap and the tank/servo. If this is leaking it will prevent the buildup of stored vacuum.