Picture request.

Nigelw

For those with RRCs with EAS, if you have done any work on your air suspension and have pictures, can you post as many detailed photos of the air spring seats on the chassis and axles, front and rear and the front shock mountings please.

Hunting the web just takes me to useless sites looking to sell me stuff :(

Thanks in advance.

I can get at the front easily at the moment but I can't get any decent pics of the rear I am afraid at the moment. The air suspension has sagged whilst I have been working on the inner wing, and everything is hidden currently on the rear. I have got this picture from before though.

IMG_1260_zpscdca2d08.jpg

The shock mount on the rear is just the same as a RRC on coils.

These I have taken of the front tonight.

IMG_4911_zpse1a2caaa.jpg

IMG_4912_zpsc8a41645.jpg

IMG_4913_zps3dcd1af8.jpg

IMG_4914_zpsc17e4afd.jpg

IMG_4919_zpsaf2623c1.jpg

IMG_4921_zps34865b54.jpg

I hope that they are of use.

What are you up to?

Me....... Upto anything............ Not much.............

If the Disco is on Dutch plates by the 1st November then it will be in the works to continue with the on board air system and using as many RRC air suspension parts to fit it out with full air ride.

I plan to use the OBA opposed to an electric compressor as I will need air for diff locks and airing up tyres so it makes sense to have good strong reliable air that will not burn out and need replacing if leaks develop.

Failing the Discovery getting Dutch plates (plan "B" ;) ) we will be buying a Freelander and putting that on air suspension.

Oh, very interesting!

Have you thought about looking at the P38 air components? The air bladders became plastic later on in the P38 so don't corrode and they have slight longer travel I think. Otherwise it is very similar.

The back axle on mt RRC with air does look the same as one on coils. The bottom and top spring mounts just have a few holes drilled in them for clips to hold the springs in place.

The front is slightly different, and of course the shock mountings which are just bolted on. Then there are the height ride sensors. They just bolt on too, and connect to little welded on tabs on the suspension arms.

I was pleased that the pics showed the mountings for the sensors on the trailing arms and the radius arm, only thing I can see different is that the foot mounting for the shock seems to be part of the panhard rod mounting on the axle and that the chassis mounted spring cups look wider???

Erm, sorry to trouble, but if you have a tape handy next time you're working on your car can you have a measure up please??? :D

I was pleased that the pics showed the mountings for the sensors on the trailing arms and the radius arm, only thing I can see different is that the foot mounting for the shock seems to be part of the panhard rod mounting on the axle and that the chassis mounted spring cups look wider???

Erm, sorry to trouble, but if you have a tape handy next time you're working on your car can you have a measure up please??? :D

The shock absorber bottom mount points on the front axle are different as you say.

What measurements are you looking for in particular?

The tops of the front and rear spring cups please.

The front and rear air springs look to have a greater diameter than the coil springs, just wondering if I would need to either mod my chassis mounted spring cups or if the EAS equipped spring cups were available as a weld on replacement part???

I will measure those bits for you next time then....that would be tomorrow night.

My last 1993 classic left the factory on coil springs. The chassis already had all the holes punched in it for the EAS bits. So it had the holes for the forward mounted shock mount bracket, and for the height sensors, as well as for the air tank, and box for the valve block/compressor. I therefore strongly doubt that the upper spring seat is different, as it looks like just one 100" RRC chassis was being made. The front axle however was different in that it didn't have the lower shock mount.

After I have done the inner wing I want to swap the air bladder, so I can get a proper look at the bottom spring mounting on the axle then.

Here you go Nige.

The top of the front spring seat is 170mm measured at the back of the top part of the aluminium bit above the seat where it has straight edges. So that is just before the chassis leg.

The rear one is 160mm across more or less the same sort of place.

I also connected up the battery, and the laptop so I could raise the suspension up, because I couldn't get to the rear spring seat with the car on the bump stops.

I took a few more pictures too for you.

IMG_1429_zpsfd4fa035.jpg

IMG_1425_zps9886314b.jpg

Of course, looking at the ally blocks on the top of the spring they are the spacers that hold it in place and away from the center pressing of the spring cup.

The same for the back I guess?

I noticed the font shock mount uses the same bolts as the PAS box to locate them, can't yet find the part No. for them but assume they could be bought as replacement parts??? then from the earlier pic showing the bottom of the front shock mounts, I am guessing that I can get some 3mm plate and bend it to make them and then weld them to the panhard rod mount.

I thought I had the air tanks sorted, HGV ones, they are just not the size I wanted, maybe they get the ones in from a 7.5T truck soon enough???

Apart from that, the rest of the OBA stuff is coming together nicely :)

On the P38, quite early on in its production I believe, they moved from aluminium to plastic for the end caps. The plastic doesn't corrode or scratch as easily.

I have seen the front upper shock mounts being sold, on eBay I think.

For the lower shock mount, I will remove the bottom shock mount nut/bush and get a better pic of that for you, and some dimensions. (At some point)

These two sites are usefull:

http://www.geoffrey-miller.demon.co.uk/rrr/eas/index.htm

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/airsuspension/airspreplace.html

Have you thought about using P38 air springs, which supposedly have a higher max available?

Sitting on 235/85 R16 has put it up a lot already from what it was wearing ;)

Rusty13240113012_zps95735a9a.jpg

So any extra chassis above ground clearance would be to it's advantage. Did the spring diameters change at all on the P38? Was the chassis a whole new build or same platform as an RRC LSE?