Warn XP9.5 Servicing

tuko

This past year the winch began acting up with sticky brushes. Even though on the tin they say that they are water tight, I guess I did one to many swims with the winch. So I removed the winch yesterday and removed the drive side of the drum which was in perfect shape, no traces of water and still well lubed. Moving over to the electrical side, removing the cover it is clear that the contacts are rusty with 2 of them stuck open. I removed the outer shell of the motor but the motor windings are stuck to the winch coupler.

post-194-0-62950800-1414409139_thumb.jpg

I've tried for the past half hour to get it free but it's only moved about 5~6mm, before I do anything else does anyone have any tips how I can remove the windings? I'm unsure how much pressure I can use on this side of the winch considering the coupler is connected to the splines of the winding motor and the internal brake assembly.

Todd.

Undo the two tie bars and pull the plate off with the motor armature.

You'll find that there is a splined adaptor that fits onto the end of the motor shaft. It will have corroded onto the motor shaft.

You can then lay it onto an anvil or similar and beat the sides of it with a hammer to see if you can free it.

I had to scrap the motor in the last one I had to get it off as it was properly stuck on there. It's pretty much the same on an m8000.....

Jon

Jon,

removing the 2 tie bars are easier said than done. 6mm allen key was too small and 7mm was too big. I searched on the interweb and now see that the allen bolts are 1/4 inch, which I don't have in the tool boxes. Sorted out the allen key today but still it was a bugger as the bolts were corroded in the tie bars. Once apart I used the hydraulic press to separate the motor windings from the bearing in the end plate.

But before getting to this point, I did try using a pry bar to separate the two, by doing so I damaged the washer on the shaft.

post-194-0-43623900-1414543510_thumb.jpg

Am I right in assuming that this washer is simply a spacer? It is damaged bit I'm hoping that I can pound it straight. <_<

Todd.