91 Disco electrical problems

hangover

My mate has a 91 3dr disco that has a problem with the dashboard indicator light, orignally thought it was due to wiring or bulbs in the arb bar but have now narrowed it down to somewhere between the dash binnacle and relay (we think ).

All indicators work but the dash telltale light doesnt, trailer telltale flashes once like it should when no trailer attached. Tried to run a wire from flasher to dash but the only thing we can get to work is telltale light on when flashing but then stays on with indicators off and key out of ignition.

Really racking our brains here as its the last issue to fix before an RWC (Aussie MOT ).

Will dig my CD out at lunch but there must be a problem with the instrument binnacle as you say the trailer warning flashes once as it should? This will take the same signal as the indicators but uses electrickery to work out the load and if you have a trailer coupled or not.

Have you tried a second hand instrument binnacle? I'd start there as it sounds as though the wiring is doing it's job.

I had a similar problem on my Disco years ago, it turned out to be the hazard warning switch.

You know that does sound promising, we cut the wires and switched them around and the light for the indicators does when wire to the trailer light so that would suggest that the dash is working.