Discovery 300Tdi Auto - t/box and g/box breather pipes?!

Dave-Mid Wales

Some advice would be most appreciated please.

The vehicle concerned is a '97 Japanese-spec Discovery 300Tdi Auto.

I've already had a monumental struggle to fit a Safari Snorkel due to the position of the air flow meter which is fitted to all Jap spec Discos and I've now come up against another problem while extending all the breathers into the snorkel.

So far, all the breathers have been done apart from the 2 from the gearbox and transfer box. Unlike my previous manual g/box 300Tdi, where they were easily found, there's no sign of either of them exiting in the engine compartment. Having removed the front prop for better access, I can just about get my hand in and feel for what I think are the 2 of them on top of the gearbox, but I can't be 100% sure that it's them. If I've got the right ones, both are very tight with no play whatsoever and my guess is that they're either firmly attached to the bulkhead behind the engine or are equally firmly zip-tied to one of the many cables running behind the engine.

I know that I could try and cut them by feel on top of the gearbox and extend them from there but at the moment I'm loath to do this as I'm not 100% sure that I've got my hand on the right ones as there's clearly some electrical cables there too.

So has anyone else come up against this problem on an auto Disco and if so, how did you solve it?

All suggestions/ advice very gratefully received.

Dave

On my previous Disco they ran up behind the engine block, but weren't visible, and were just about reachable by squishing a hand behind the block. I managed to pull them sideways (towards the airbox side) and attach a coupler to extend them. This meant I didn't need to cut/change the fittings at the gearbox/TX box end.

I understand though, from your post, they're not visible at all?!

> In reply to Paul Woodward:

Thanks for that. The photo in the link is very useful and at least I can now try and feel for where the pipes exit the two boxes to see if I've got the right ones.

> In reply to S Pendrey:

Thanks for the info and I too think the pipes must come up between the bulkhead and the block but no, there's no sign of them. I've removed the pipe going from the Airflow Meter so that I've got better visibility on the airbox side but unfortunately there's nothing to be seen. Also, unlike my previous manual trans 300Tdi, the space between the back of the block and the bulkhead on this one is crammed with electrical cables encased in sleeving so there's no chance at all of getting a hand in there - or seeing anything in fact. I suspect this extra cabling may be because of all the emission control electrics as it's a Jap-spec vehicle.

I may have to bite the bullet and remove the centre console, drill out the metal plate etc and take a look from above - something I was keen to avoid if there's an easier alternative as it's a lot of trouble just to get at a couple of plastic pipes!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...