cylinder head swap problems update 300tdi

Thanks for all the advice posted reply on original thread but need further advice.

Got all parts off my head and transferred over to replacement head. All went well except one of locating dowels broke when I tried to insert it in the block. I caught one half but suspect the other half dropped in a coolant hole. Looked inside best i could and rummaged around with a long magnetic screwdriver nothing.

Decided to go ahead anyway and assemble the head etc everything back except exhaust manifold and rocker.

Now worried whats worse case scenario with the piece of metal in there ?

It could possibly reach water pump and potential jam it or get lodged in pipe work and restrict flow. I cannot afford full strip down of engine to locate it either time or money.

Any advice or recommendations.

I have had to source replacement rocker as 3 stem caps had badly worn too and damaged the rocker faces :-( not happy at the moment.

I could live with extra expense of rocker but piece of metal in engine block worries me although at least its on coolant side not oil recirculation hole.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards Ian

Theoretically it should get trapped in the rad. I'm not 100% sure on the circulation on these engines though.

The only other way I can think of catching it are magnets powerful on top hose into rad have to be quite powerful and a pain to keep taking hose off to check hose. Just fill with water to try it as you'll obviously lose coolant every time you remove the hose.

If you find it don't forget to top up with antifreeze.

Problems with it I can think of are.

Hot spot in engine don't know how badly this would effect a tdi and depends if piece blocks a water passage way or allows flow.

Damages/ jams water pump.

I can't remember whether the pump on these is timing belt driven or not.

It's not I just searched. If it jams pump worst way belt will slip and pump and housing may be damaged.

But at least you'll know where it is and can replace pump and remove it.

That's the best I can do I'm afraid.

I do feel for you, I've dropped enough carp in engines over time

Hope it sorts itself out.

I've just had a look at a 300tdi I've got out the back it's in a disco though so may be different.

The water exits the head into a cast ally elbow. On the bottom of the one here is what looks like a temp controlled fan switch bung.

If I had your problem I'd remove it as it's on the outer bend fill it with water stick a kitchen seive under it and start it allowing water to pour out and hopefully catch it in the seive you could omit the seive bit but it would be nice to know you've got it.

On the one here the top rad hose is directly Above the bottom hose so it could drop straight into the bottom hose and up to the pump so I'd magnet that to.

Its front corner on rht hand side it dropped in. Unfortunately I am at work at the moment so carnt look plus it's at my mothers at moment she has a garage I don't. Earliest I can get back there to carry on with it is next Monday. Waiting for replacement rocker anyway so that should arrive Monday.

Just spent £8 on 5litres anti freeze so could do with locating it before I top that up.

If I was just travelling back and forth to work I could cope with water pump seizure but going to Scotland for a week in February don't want to get stuck there with no pump.

If I have an outlet at bottom of the block I could connect a hose to heater outlet and try to flush it out.

Thanks for your advice and support much appreciated.

Flow appears to travel from engine to the water pump. So if I fit some gauze in the pipe feeding the water pump I could at least eliminate water pump failure in short term.

I could also fit a magnet to hoses as suggested they sell them at RS components £5 for one with 3kg force.

Ideally though need some outlet at bottom of the block that I could remove and flush it out with a hose at the heater connection at the head.

If it's inside the engine block it wont get past the thermostat. So don't worry about it getting into the radiator or the water pump which is on the return water line from the radiator.

You could try flushing it out at the drain plug - located on the side of the block just below the oil level stick - but as this is only 3/8" NPT I doubt if it will come out easily.

Water flow through the block isn't that rapid that it's going to migrate, the water flow isn't that powerful that it's going to lift a steel dowel off the bottom of the water jacket, lift it through the cylinder head and into the return lone and into the thermostat housing, I seriously wouldn't worry about it too much, next time you replace the side welsh plugs you may have a chance to recover it, if not then the only option is when you do an engine overhaul.