TD5 Issues to look out for

Hi All

I will soon be the proud owner of another defender 90, this time it's a 2003 TD5 county hardtop on 94K, I'm buying off a friend so I've known the vehicle for the last 5 years and he hasn't had any issues and it's been regularly services etc.

I've done a bit of googling to try and familiarise myself with the TD5 engine and have come across alot of older forum posts about cracked heads and oil pump bolts coming undone. Should I be worried about any of these things or were they something that was addresses with the 15p engines? Would it also be safe to assume that if the oil pump bolt was going to come loose, it would have done it by now.

Thanks

Dave

Well there's food for thought. I've just come accross an 02 defender van for sale for a very reasonable price. That is unless they know something I don't.

It's been laid up, so the story is that it and a second 300tdi 110 are being sold as a Pajero has been bought instead. The obvious issues (crusty cappings,leaky clutch slave and calipers) aren't too off putting but it's potential engine problems I don't want to inherit.

A good guide to what to look out for there, thanks!

My TD5 is a 2000 with 85K miles and recently I had the dreaded oil in the injector loom.

Worth lifting the drivers seat and having a look.

Even though the garage blew the wiring off with an airline after replacing the loom, I sprayed the wiring with surgical spirits until it dripped down onto the base and dried the wiring off with Lady S`s hairdryer!

So far so good!

Barry