Motivating factors?

Nigelw

When I selected my Disco from a long line of applicants, Toyota, Nissan, Jeep, Merc Benz et al my prime motivation was the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid, so the venerable but simple 300TDi was the go.

To understand that decision you have to understand that unlike in the UK when I tour I'm often 1000k's (600 miles) from the nearest community and if you break down and cannot fix it by the side of the road, you are in serious pooo :wacko:. It was for this same reason I replace the ZF4HP22 for the R380, the auto is far better when driving over soft desert sand dunes but I can fix a manual, I cannot fix an auto. It also had to be diesel as petrol is quite often unavailable at some of the more remote outback depots.

So I guess it comes down to what you want your Landy for, how it's going to be used, if fuel consumption is an issue and how far you are from help if its needed.