Range Rover Classic Central Locking Issues

Darren Roberts

Hi Guys,

Need some help. My problem is that the central locking on my 1992 SE Classic hard dash is working....

Replaced drivers side inner wing, so far found three earths.

1. From chase to negative on batter via stud on inner wing - al the loom earths are attached to this.

2. Back of engine somewhere to chassis next to body mount by drivers footwell.

3. Back of engine somewhere to one of the studs holding the pedal box.

The pedal box came out during the rebuild so a lot of stuff was disturbed during the work.

The problem is that the nearside from flasher doesn't flash, but side and rear do quickly - I know classic earth problem.

The main light switch on side of the column (for headlights etc) when the ignition is turned on locks the car....

Any ideas on

a) how to fix

or

b) disable central locking so I can at least get a ticket on it....

I tried yanking fuse C7 which had the desired effect but also killed the starter motor.....

Any help appreciated as I'm running out of ideas....

cheers

Darren

I seem to remember that Classics of that era had fusible links concealed in a foot long sheath lying along the top of the rh inner wing.When it rotted water thrown up from the wheel would cause corrosion inside the sheath... Result was allsorts of weird electrical issues. Worth checking out to see if there is any resistance on any of the links.

Got as far as the decker panel and only found one on a smaller orange feed - can't get to the rest without taking the decker panel off - just put it back on and that was a real bitch.....

Do you know if there is a way to disable the central locking?

I pulled each of the fuses in turn - C7 stops the issue with the head light switch triggering the locking but if I remove that fuse it won't start....

cheers

The fusible links are just back from the positive terminal, between the inner wing and the coolant expansion tank,wrapped in a funny sort of woven cloth type material.

You would have to look at the wiring diagram to decide on a way to disable the central locking,but its not very complex,far better to fix it really.

You should be able to download all the wiring diagrams,(ETM's) off the net. They were originally sold as paper manuals then later put onto CD's.

Ok, so found one fuseable kink that was knackered, and cut it out and replaced with an inline fuse holder, and appropriate fuse. This didn't work so I pulled the indicator unit out - turns out the indicator bulb was knackered - so I've replaced that as well.

I also turns out there is no power going to the bulb holder - looks like corrosion in the socket between that and the loom - tried to clean but but no success - will try again tomorrow, but at least with the right bulbs in place the remaining right hand side indicators are flashing at the right speed.

Still no joy with the locking though.....

• 4 weeks later...