3.9 V8 exhaust

dave88sw

Hi,

Does anybody know a source of a straight through centre pipe for a 3.9? Island 4x4 used to do them but they dont seem to list them anymore.

Alternatively, has anyone got a suggestion for a better system? I'd like to make a bit more of the V8 noise without it being too intrusive to drive every day if you see what i mean. The standard system is just a little subdued.

Thanks

Dave

I am having similar thoughts to you. My 3.9 is in a 110, and with all silencing provided by Tdci pipes, it's not sounding very V8-like.

Downpipes are Ø2", and main pipes are Ø2.5". The main silencer is colossal!

My thoughts regarding experimenting have been:

• Unbolt the rear section with its small silencer, and see what sort of sound I get.
  • Replace centre section with a straight through pipe sold by Paddocks, thus leaving the quite small rear silencer, and see what sort of sound I get. This of course may waste precious £ on something that may end up being a bad idea. That said, it could be a good basis for adding my own choice of silencer

Other thoughts - I recently saw a V8 challenge truck with quite a short system, and just a single, modest sized box that gives an idle sound that is pretty discreet, but definitely a V8. When worked harder, it sounds lovely without being obnoxious or OTT. Unfortunately I didn't get to ask the owner what the spec was of the silencer.

There are many types of exhaust silencer, and I'm still reading up on each. Anyway, I think my objective will be reached by using the correct type and size of silencer, rather than removing one or more altogether.

Thanks guys, something to think about. I hear what you're saying about total removal of the centre box, i suppose i don't really want it to be intrusive, i don't often do long journeys in it but i don't want to make it unbearable if i do.

If i could weld and had some old pipes about i would have a go at removing/swapping silencers and see what i get. The rear box did rot away and i pulled it off a while back (since been replaced with another standard section with silencer) but i can't honestly say it made a difference to the noise when it was missing altogether!!

I need to replace the centre section regardless as it's full of bits of the old cats!! so i could try a straight through and see what it's like, if not i haven't lost too much money.

Cheers