Discovery 1 coil springs

Sheffield

At present I am engaged in the entertaining task of replacing the shock absorbers on my 1996 300TDI, using Procomp ES9000s. However I have found the passenger side front spring is broken at the bottom seat. While it still supports the weight I obviously do not want to put it back on. Nor do I want to wait while the near useless French parcel carriers bring me some new springs.

I do have amongst my treasures a set of four coil springs from a RRC V8. These were originally supplied by Famous Four of Louth, and are I believe their own spec. I am wondering if I can use them on the Discovery. FF do not say what spring rate their springs are. so I can not make a comparison.

The original unbroken spring is 405, while the RRC springs are 380 free unloaded length. I have a set of spring isolators which brings the unloaded length to 385. The vehicle is an ex Police Discovery, RHD, so I assume the original springs may be Police spec. The vehicle is not used off road, and most of the time carries only me. It does not carry an excess weight.

Does any one have any adfvice, please, as to whether I can use these springs, or will they be too soft, especially with the relatively soft Procomp shocks? I am concerned it may wallow too much. Thanks.

If you have ARBs as I suspect you might, then nothing to worry about.

spring rates vary as do uncompressed spring heights, I had some genuine springs for an old RRC and a set of HD std height springs, the HD springs seemed shorter but had a much higher spring rating, the genuine springs seemed to compress to a similar height when under the vehicle. Probably not much help but I would fit them and plod on ;)

Well, many thanks for your advice. I have fitted the springs and dampers, and they are indeed fine. The ride is smoother, without the hardness it had before. I suspect it would be too soft for a heavily loaded vehicle, or one hard driven, but for me with road use only it is fine.