Discovery, Series 1, 300tdi Front & Rear Differentials

Boydie

Are you guys able to give me the pinion shaft and differential carrier bearing and the pinion seal numbers (not necessarily LR part numbers) for the front and rear differentials? It would be handy to have them before I pull them apart to reduce the amount of back-lash that has developed over the past three years and 250,000 kilometers, an overhaul is well overdue !

Secondly the LR part number for the front and rear pinion shaft flanges. I might as well put new ones in at the same time as they are more than likely to be scored at the oil seal.

Many thanks :-)

According to my Parts Cat, for MY1989 to 1999

Front flange FRC3002

Rear flange for the 3 bolt donut is FTC3729. The 4 bolt conversion is the same as the front

Pinion seals are bit more tricky appearing to change according to year/VIN

The pinion shaft bearings I get 539707 for the outboard and 539706 for the inboard, same front and rear.

The carrier bearings I get different results again depending on age/VIN. That will be the change over from 10 spline imperial diffs to 24 spline metric. I assume you have 24 spline as it should have?

Yes mine has the 24 spline and my rear propshaft still has the rubber doughnut,

VIN Number is SALLJGMF3WA 796521, (it used to be an auto with air bags and ABS - now sans airbags and ABS and the auto has been replaced with an R380).

The front axle has the code 75L27656A stamped on the front LH side face but the rear axle does not appear to have any similar number on it anywhere.

Thanks, and sorry I should have given you this information to begin with.

Best regards,

Iain

Ok, Pinion seals, I think for the front and rear you want FTC5258 - the notes on the front miss out the '75L' in the axle number listings and just give the numbers, and the rear only lists from a 'VA' with no end date on the rear.

Looking at the carrier bearings, RTC3095 fits the front and the rear as you'd expect, and the axle number is properly listed for the front so I'm confident that is correct.