Help !

DiscoHere

Hi all

I was out in my Disco TD 5 today for over 3 hours and it worked perfectly (in fact i was singing its praises). However on the way home on a motorway at 65 mph I noticed a little shudder or vibration. I thought it might be the road but tried to accelerate to see if it would make any difference. I then noticed an immediate loss of power from the engine and that is what was causing the vibration.

When i got off the motorway I brought it to a stop and accelerated away from the kerb. it went slow but worked. It was very very slow on gear change and no way could I get the revs above 3000 rpm. It felt like one or more of the cylinders was not working and at low revs as was running kind of rough. Home now and I notice that it seems to run smoother at anything above 1500 rpm but will only go as far as 3000 rpm. It feels like the governor has been installed at 3000 rpm

I have checked the ECU and red plug for oil. While there was some on it and I cleaned it the problem still exists

Any suggestions where i should look for a problem and or how I might check for fuel pump problems?

Hugh

Yes, it seems like fuel pump HP failure if you can still hear it buzzing, if no sound from it check the fuse and relay to rule them out and if they are good replace the pump, if you hear it running the only certain way to check it is to insert a gauge instead of the FT sensor in the FPR and measure pressure... the td5 can run with failed pump at low revs for long

• 2 weeks later...

Having just brought a Hawkeye diagnostic scanner from Bearmach, I can honestly say this is the best way to find "which component in the system", has failed.

It saves money and time.

You plug it in in the foot well and read the screen for faults. It takes seconds. Modern day problems can have several "red herrings", in other words one problem could easily point to 14 types of fault, including dry joints or rusty connectors, especially around the xyz switch.

The Hawkeye does check automatic gear box components as well and it sounds like your engine has gone into safe "get home" mode.

Hi again

Just a note to say that sierrafrey was right on the button. Fuel pump had given up the ghost. I got a used one from a crashed D2 and replaced it. No problem but I did need a hand to push the pump down into the tank while I tightened the retainer. Apart from that it was easy as pie.

One question though .........the fuel gauge is not reading correctly now and I am wondering if there is a computer fix for that or do I need to take the pump back out and bend the float bar to give a more accurate reading?

Hugh