Discovery TD5 exhaust pipe replacement and advice

petrolhead63

The flexi pipe is clapped...sooty and possibly even the cause of whistling under load/pressure.

The rest of the exhaust is original and pretty rusty albeit fine.

What do people think works well on the TD5.....decat pipe, one of these single box exhausts or standard?

If you've got whistling , it's far more likely to be a warped exhaust manifold / broken manifold studs.

A broken flexi noise is more like a "chuffing" noise as the pressure is much lower than the inlet side of the turbo - usually only really noticeable at idle with the bonnet open, unless the flexi failure is massive.

If you've actually got a CAT in the down pipe a de-cat pipe may be the solution if there's no chance of it being rejected by whatever official testing you have wherever you're based.

If no CAT (Our 2001 UK variant didn't have one), it's a standard downpipe replacement - which will include the flexi joint.

I'm not sure whether a "de-cat" pipe is exactly the same as a standard no CAT downpipe.

Removing the centre silencer box will reduce some backpressure / improve exhaust flow, but can get a bit "boomy" inside. I did it, then decided I couldn't tolerate it & had a stainless straight through silencer welded back in.

perfect advice thanks, having looked our 2000 TD5 has no Cat...so very happy there!

I will give the noisy centre box removal a miss...I am happy with noise on the right cars I play with but this a truck! why kid myself :rolleyes:

I tend agree.the manifold is more likely the whistle.........if not only because it will be the harder job to fix! but I will replace the downpipe first to eliminate that. My mot man who is a landy chap too says he has known flexi's make a whistle sometimes if it is just a small split in the corrugated inner part.

Thanks