2.5 TDI fuel start up

Dave64

Guys!

First up, an apology! Spoke to the bloke who gave me this engine today, he assures me that you blokes are correct, it is the Discovery 1. So, egg on face, I should have made better enquiries before posting!

Now we have established what engine and more importantly, what vehicle the engine belongs to, I will swallow my pride and forge ahead! BTW, the bloke I spoke to is also going to see if he can repossess the original intercooler, so hopefully I can mount that in the chassis as well. As far as an oil cooler goes, plenty of aftermarket ones around that should be able to be adapted. The air con compressor has gone, don't need it anyway, likewise the power steering pump, will remove that and jerry rig an old idler pulley of some description, got a few here.

Again, thanks for all your input!

Cheers, Dave64

We didnt get any tdi RRC's so yeah it was out of a D1, what vehicle is it going into ? I was up at Amphitheatre and Avoca in October and did some tracks in the Pyrenees , nice country around there.

Lots of people run aftermarket coolers especially if they towing so wont be hard to find something to fit same with intercooler's , since its not going back into a disco you can use anything of a similar or larger size.

Hangover,

I can actually sit on my front verandah and watch the dust clouds rolling off the top of the Pyrenees! Probably hasn't rained since you were here in Oct, not any decent rain anyway.

Still haven't made my mind up what I'm going to do with the engine, couple of options, little 2WD U.S. Postal Jeep looks likely, but also have a D5N Dodge about the same weight as a Discovery and lots more room under the bonnet. Engine was given to me by a mate and to this stage the only coin I have spent on it is for about a dozen missing bolts and the cost of having the adapter plate made up to fit the NP435 box, a clutch and pressure plate. So far!

BTW, have the original 5 speed transmission, clutch, bellhousing and linkages here, but no transfer case. If anyone is interested, make me an offer and I'll ring my mate and run it by him. Had it on Gumtree for $100.

Cheers, Dave

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but if I have read it correctly, going by photos of the head/manifol/turbo set up posted by Hangover and the follow up by Steve B, my engine has been identified as a 1993 2.5 TDI 200 out of a DISCOVERY.

In the same topic it was stated that we didn't get the DEFENDER out here with that engine. Again, if I have read it correctly, the two engines were identical except for the position of the actual turbo (and probably a bit of plumbing).

My query is do they USE the same turbo, and if I wanted to mount my turbo on top of the engine instead of being slung UNDER the manifold on the passenger side, is it simply a matter of getting hold of a DEFENDER manifold and the accompanying hoses, oil pipes etc.

Got a project in mind for this engine where I have a bit of height to play with, but not much width. If anyone could post a few photos of the top mounted turbo on a Defender engine, give me a bit better idea. If it's feasible to change it over, how hard is it to lay my hands on a suitable manifold. have had stuff sent from the U.K. before and delivery is often better than our own snail mail. Although never had to have anything sent as big and bulky.

Much appreciated, thanks Dave64

Red 90,

Bummer! Was hoping it may have been as simple as swapping manifolds, re-clocking the turbo to the right position and leave all the drives/pulleys in their original position.

Should have learned by my age that nothing is as simple as what it first appears. Have to re-think it again, Thanks anyway.

Dave64