2003 Discovery v8 Auto Gearbox Flashing Green M & S Lights

v8Dougie

Hi all. My 2003 Disco is having a few occasional gearbox issues.

So, sometimes, normally when cold, start the car, select drive but the car does not creep. To get it to engage you have to rev the engine hard, then it will drop in. Been doing this occasionally for a while, but now getting worse, more often and when it does drop in the gearbox now goes into limp mode (flashing green M & S lights on dash and flashing D). Turn engine off, start it again, and all is well. Gearbox drives otherwise as it should I think, only auto Disco 2 I have ever had, the gearbox is a bit lumpy and lazy in comparison to the super slick Disco 3 gearbox and my Saab 9-5 one but I assume that is correct as older technology.

Fluid should be fine (I will check though) as the fluid was changed a couple of months back and no major leaks. Fluid was changed again a few weeks after as one of the cooler pipes blew. Anything else I could check? Battery is brand new as I have seen that as a cause in some other threads.

At a bit of a loss really, so any help much appreciated. :mellow:

Sounds like a valve block issue, usually caused by debris from a disintegrating clutch pack. Was the ATF dark at the first oil change? Was the problem there before the first change, these boxes are renowned for failing once fresh oil has been put in because it acts like a detergent and frees up any carp to float about.

It's probably rebuild time.

I like discokev's response better, no offence BennehBoy!!

I haven't done many miles in the car since I have had it, bought it with a misfire so had the engine rebuilt. The guy I bought it off gave me a 25ltr barrel of ATF which he had done a gearbox change with. Perhaps the problem happened after that? It definitely happened before I had the oil changed, and before the cooler pipe popped, but it has definitely got worse.

Could be as you say that the ATF has free'd up some crud. I didn't do the oil changes a garage did, they said the oil was quite fresh that came out. I'll have a look at the XYZ switch, but why would it engage gear with revving the engine? I have heard about starting it in neutral, then going to drive as it is Reverse which is where the problem is on the switch, other check is if the rear wiper comes on when the front are on and you select reverse. Strange thing is, I am sure it will always engage reverse, it is just forward gears it won't!

Can't even check now as the car is back in the garage getting the starter motor changed and the post cat lambdas swapped over!

This gearbox is electronic mechanical if the pair dont sink it goes into limp mode. Personal experience 2003 td5 auto first switch 30,000M second at 95,000M. Move stick slowly between D N R P see if the lights match stick position at the same time,if theres a delay its the switch. It mite clear if you move the stick back and forward quickly, ignition off. Short term only

If I ever get the car back from the garage then I will have a go at this. Went in last Friday for a replacement starter motor and Watts linkage changed, they keep finding knackered bushes at the back and ordering them one by one despite me telling them to just do the lot!! Grrr. Thanks for the suggestions though!

I'm in Huddersfield btw - if it does turn out to be a shagged box I've got a spare one sat in my shed that you can have a for a pittance. Not after big money I just want rid, I bought it for a transfer box it was coupled to.

I've also got nanocom & lots of tools.