Capstan Cunundrum

johnny.k

Hello mates,

I'm pretty new here, but have been owning my LR since 2008, bought in Huddersfield and brought back to the states with me. I've had a long road to getting her back running, after a series of bad mechanics, and have finally taken the time to do it all myself. Unfortunately, it's been four years in coming, but she's up and running like a top.

So, whilst i fiddle around the electrics, repairing damage caused by a careless mechanic, i've begun to look seriously at my capstan that i purchased in 2008. In my research, I've concluded that it does not--- even though the seller guaranteed-- fit my series III. It's a Superwinch, built in 1997. I've always wondered why the fitment never looked just right and now i know. So, I am at a point of no return as i type. That nice German fellow has a galvanized mounting plate to fit that i can get, somewhere close to my price range (about €90, shipping and all) and i have a perfectly nice bull bar hanging on my wall that would fit right up..

But, tonight while taking measurements, i thought, "this is a complete Superwinch for a 90/110, and it would be a shame to break it up." But, what are my options? Should i go ahead and tear it down and rebuilt for a Series mount or trade it for some other period style winch? I am decidedly against an electric winch and cant afford US or German prices for another working capstan.

Here she sits, soaking in penetrating fluid

gallery_111441_1519_818643.jpg

gallery_111441_1519_441339.jpg

gallery_111441_1519_606126.jpg

gallery_111441_1519_452028.jpg

gallery_111441_1519_1539880.jpg

gallery_111441_1519_233672.jpg

gallery_111441_1519_507952.jpg

it does look wonky on the LR right now, but i was thinking of purchasing a mounting plate to convert it to a series capstan. that would mean losing the bull bar in front, but, like i said, i have another hanging on the wall of my garage.

this is the plate. anyone with experience converting? Will it work? Any trades out there?

i need to move forward on this!

gallery_111441_1519_136749.jpg

Hi Soren,

I've thought about both. The current deck is 11 INches and some change, however, I need 13-3/4", so i would need to weld an extension. also thought about cutting my own, and that is feasable, but the new one is soooooo nice and pretty and already galvanized, At the end of the day, I may end up building, but i wont have time to attack it until