Defender immobiliser woe

Can the fob be duplicated or replaced? (1999 td5) I have just returned to France after several months to collect the LR, trailer, tools etc. I didn't expect it to start and I wasn't disappointed, a new battery soon sorted that or so I thought. Once warm I stopped it and set about unhitching the trailer. That was it,from then on the immobiliser refused to cooperate. A day later (amongst other things) I have checked and cleaned all the fuses and the obvious and progressed to undoing the plastic trims around the ignition etc. now the funny thing is that the 'fob' thingy worked when touched directly on the small cylinder shape glued inside the lower cover, but still won't work from outside. I am told these things work on a unique frequency, can replacementsomeone be had? I have about 1000 heavily loaded miles to do which includes a ferry crossing and I don't really have much confidence in it at present. Any advice much appreciated. ...