Steering pump replacement

russ t

Hi everyone,

While doing the standard oil change I noticed a leak coming from the power steering pump area. Checked the reservoir level and it was low. The leaking oil had a red tinge to it, so I presume that either the pump or one of the hoses may be leaking. Before I start pulling it apart I need a pointer as to what it involves, source replacement parts ie Pump, hoses, seals etc if they may be required. There has been no strange noises or anything to indicate that there is a problem with the steering.

russ t 1995 LHD Discovery 2.5 Northern Dordogne (dept 24) France

You can strip a PAS pump, and they are actually pretty basic internally. The one I did had a seal/bearing, two bushes, and an O-ring. The bushes were fine and I only needed to replace the bearing/seal and O-ring. I couldn't buy the bearing off the shelf - I had to measure it and then got if from http://www.bearingboys.com/

If you strip the pump yourself - be careful, as some parts have to go a certain way round. This pump is off a 1989 90, so the internals of yours may well be different.

Bush in each half of the main body.

med_gallery_2_401_38294.jpg

med_gallery_2_401_1579313.jpg

Bearing/seal

med_gallery_2_401_1250205.jpg

Some parts have to go back in the same position as they were.

med_gallery_2_401_1401425.jpg

All the rest of the parts cleaned and inspected for wear.

med_gallery_2_401_270080.jpg

Reassembled

med_gallery_2_401_455495.jpg

Les.

• 3 weeks later...
I doubt very much that the pump would be different or even the way it is mounted. The pipes would be different I would imagine - especially if the box is mounted on the opposite side of the chassis.

I have no experience of left-hookers I'm afraid.

Les.