P38 Dead !

P38 Paul

Hi everyone , Got in my P38 Diesel this morning to go to work & stopped on the way for a paper , When I got back in the car I put the key in & turned it onto position 2 , the radio come on for a second then everything died , Absolutely nothing . Started looking around under the bonnet & checked that the Maxi fuses were ok , then went to take the battery cover off & I heard a faint click , everything back on . Got to work & checked the battery leads & a quick visual check al around but could see nothing wrong , On the way home tonight doing 30MPH it cuts out again but restarted whilst still coasting , came up with " GEARBOX FAULT " because of the coasting , got it back home & all is ok , Any idea's on what's wrong or has any one else had this happen ? 

23 hours ago, qwakers said:

damaged (internally broken) wire, bad/dirty/loose battery clamp or bad earth.

turn the ignition on and start wiggling things.

Cheers for your input qwakers , will be wiggling things when it does it again .

1 hour ago, qwakers said:

no need to wait for it to do it again, if its any of the above, wiggling will cause it, which will help you find it.

38 minutes ago, steve b said:

Check the plugs on the BeCM under the drivers seat for corrosion . It has a role in all of the faults you describe I think ?

cheers

Steve b

Thanks lads , will be wiggling & checking tomorrow .

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, rrdude said:

Check the ground (as that can corrode) and also carefully check the bottom of the fusebox. Wires can get kinda brittle too.

Cheers mate I will check on those items tomorrow although the car is still running & not cut out since the last time , but I'm pretty sure that its not the last time & it will do it again .