V8 3.5 Caburattor engine

Jay

Still have the stock v8 carby engine(never been rebuilt before) on my 1983 Rangie.

Considering upgrading

-Coil and spark wires (Jacobs Electronics ??)

-Hi performance cam shaft

Cost and is it worth it?

Recommended suppliers?

All that I seem to read/hear says Magnecor leads, possibly Lumenition coil/electronic ignition, although for myself I'm thinking Edis-style.

As for the camshaft, I hear that it's worthwhile putting a 3.9 camshaft in, gives 2° advance, although that's unconfirmed. Rpi produce nice-looking stats with their upgrade camshafts/timing gears etcetera.

All that I seem to read/hear says Magnecor leads, possibly Lumenition coil/electronic ignition, although for myself I'm thinking Edis-style.

As for the camshaft, I hear that it's worthwhile putting a 3.9 camshaft in, gives 2° advance, although that's unconfirmed. Rpi produce nice-looking stats with their upgrade camshafts/timing gears etcetera.

Mark

Thanks for the feedack. Any odeasd on the prices of the Magnecor leads and Lumtnition coil.....

Jay

Magnecor 8mm leads, best price I found was £45.50 from rallydesign.co.uk;

there are links on lumenition's page, for the coil, I haven't replaced my own yet, although it may be a future project :)

cheers

Mark

This engine is becoming sluggish....rangey is not driven much we had since 1983 and been sitting aroung since 1996...

Can the 3.9 camshaft fit this engine will it cause premature wear to the pistons or cylinders...

Thanks

Jay

Won't the 3.9 cam in a 3.5 Carby bee too much on the cylinders and pistons

Jay, I've got two V8 3.5's with 3.9 cams in them. They are both fine engines with excellent power. Its a common mod which is recommended by RPi. In some eyes, the 3.9 is actually a weaker engine than the 3.5 due to thinner wall liners etc. Apart from that, they are identical so I don't see how the 3.9 cam in a 3.5 could have any risk at all.

Jay, I've got two V8 3.5's with 3.9 cams in them. They are both fine engines with excellent power. Its a common mod which is recommended by RPi. In some eyes, the 3.9 is actually a weaker engine than the 3.5 due to thinner wall liners etc. Apart from that, they are identical so I don't see how the 3.9 cam in a 3.5 could have any risk at all.

Donald

Did you notice substancil increase in power with 3.9 cam....will it be a direct replacement for the 3.5

I was thinking sinc the 3.9 will be genrating more power I was concerned about the wall liners. But since you are saying they are thicker there should not be any risk at all.

Who are the good sources for a 3.9 camshaft in the UK and what are they priced at?

The 3.9 can is a direct swap for the 3.5 one . . . no modifications needed. The differences between them are to do with the cam timings and overlaps. The lift height of the cams are the same so no worry about little spacers and rocker adjustments.

Does it make a difference? errr dunno . . . considering the 3.5 cams that came out of my old engines, anything in their place were an improvement.

In theory, the 3.9 is supposed to push the power up the rev-range slightly which is fine since the 3.9 nearly only was fitted to an autobox where an engine seems to sit around 2000rpm all the time. Shifting up the rev range a little I think comes as a slight sacrifice to low-rev torque.

I half -remember reading **but willing to be corrected** that the 3.5 cam makes for a better low-end torque performance but loses out to the 3.9 in the rest of the rev-range.

I would say that on my engine i do feel the low end is a little lacking and that you have to get it up and running a bit to get it on song and in full chat...