TD5 water pump

bushwhacker

Hi

How difficult is the Disco td5 water pump to replace. I know it is buried and there is very little room to work, but could it be done in the back yard/car port so to speak with no special tools?

I have had a look on here but could not find any good pointers.

Thoughts and suggestions please (only polite ones mind) I'm feeling a bit tender right now. :huh:

You are correct, it is a pig of a job. Very tight. I made my life easier by removing the complete housing from the block as I wasn't sure if the leak was from the gasket between them (it wasn't. It clearly was coming from the hole in the casing which leads to the waterpump bearings). However, I am very glad I did it this was since when I tried to fit the new after-market pump it soon became obvious that the holes didn't align properly and no amount of trying would get it to fit. I tried to imagine trying to work out what was wrong if I had tried to fit in in situ!!!!

So do yourself a favour and buy genuine or OE spec (QH I think). Was about £30 IIRC

Thanks teabag. I have looked over http://www.discovery.../waterpump.html and he makes it look doable.

Thanks also Orgasmic Farmer, did you use that site and method to do the work. Good point about the housing. Will it come out after the pump is out or with it? Is it awkward to take off.

It's a job I got asked to do for someone, if it was mine I'd be on it like a cleg, but not so sure when it's for someone else.

QH pump waiting to go in. :i-m_so_happy:

Didn't find it too hard. Worst job I found was getting the bottom hose clip off the lower pipe to the rad! Real pig of a job.

Otherwise. Remove as many pipes from rad and intake as possible. Remove drivebelt. Unbolt the air con compressor and move out of way (without disturbing pipes). I think I then unbolted the PAS pump and moved it out of way (again leave pipes in tact). Then unbolt alloy PAS bracket and remove from engine bay complete with water pump. Change pump and replace everything. All gaskets are rubber O=ring type so will be fine to reuse.