Sankey Remote Reverse Switch

Dave W

Looking for ideas first off from anyone that may have looked at this or done it in the past.

I have a MKIII Sankey trailer which is pretty much the best thing I've ever had to tow and does almost everything I want from it apart from just one problem. A few times when I've had to reverse for whatever reason I've ended up blocking the road while I get out, try and push the reverse lock in, realise it's under tension, put the handbrake on the trailer, pull forward to release the tension, back out of the vehicle to put the lock in, handbrake off and back to reversing. In short it can be a real PITA, not to mention the odd looks you get from passers by.

So, it seems that it wouldn't be too difficult to replace the current setup with a solenoid of some form. Ideally the locking pin could be sprung so if you engage it when there is tension on the pintle it will lock once you pull forward. Air operated would be possible for mine as both the vehicles that tow it have on board air for lockers and winch freespool already.

I haven't taken the original apart yet but it looks like it should be pretty simple to unbolt the manual one to replace it with a remote operated one.

Could you wire it to the reverse light circuit so that it was automatic and the brakes couldn't be left disengaged by accident or do you need to be able to pull forwards with it on? If so you could have an over ride button where you can pull forwards with it on but you have to keep a button held in?

Just thinking it might avoid forgetting to teenage them?

No, that wouldn't work unfortunately. The hitch needs to be fully extended to allow the pin to engage and just the act of slowing before reversing can compress the hitch slightly. Ideally you want to engage it while still moving forwards. Sods law means the trailer always seems to be facing downhill when you want to reverse and the weight of the trailer compresses the hitch enough to prevent you engaging the locking pin.

I've bought a solenoid suitable for continuous use and will add a warning light on the dashboard though !