Winch Bumper

RAF-mechanic

I am in the middle of a range rover classic project (my first) and have just bought a new bumper for it. The winch bumper is only the winch bracket part with a bar across the top. (see pictures). I was just wondering if this is legal on its own as it is not as wide as the vehicle.

01072008129.jpg

01072008131.jpg

If the bumper is illegal and does need to be as wide as the vehicle. Can these extensions be bought or will i have to fabricate them from scratch.

Cheers

Chris

Correct me if I'm wrong but a little fabrication shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of someone that goes by the name of RAF mechanic. I haven't seen bumper extensions for sale, but that doesn't mean you can't get someone to make you a set.

Another option is to mount the origional bumper in front of the winch mount (depends a bit on how far forward the mount sticks out). I just finished doing this to mine the other weekend. The origional bumper brakets were cut and welded on top of the winch tray and the bumper got some pruning and bracing.

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Not sure about the requirements on bumper width, but for example many kit cars don't have full width bumpers. Having full width is a go ide though for off roading as it help prevent obsticles from just cumpling up the front corners, unless they have some sort of bracing.

Cheers for the reply... i dont mind putting my hand to a bit of fabrication... was only after advice...

Im considering butchering the original and fabricating ends for the winch bumper.

We will see...

I like the look at what you have done with yours, but because of the a frame i cant mount this underneath the vehicle

like i said... this is my first Rangie project...

Firstly, can you resize your signature picture - it will kill people on dial up and takes up loads of screen space!! ;)

The tapering bumper ends can be bought - try Dave at Southdown or Devon 4x4. Probaly cheaper to taper a bit of box yourself though.

I don't believe there is a requirement for a vehicle to have a bumper, but you will have to be sure there are no exposed sharp edges protruding that were originally covered by the bumper.

Form my extensive experience of replacing Range Rover light clusters :lol::lol: I would want as much protection as I could get on the corners of the vehicle!!

If you decide not to go full width, as I no longer have a RR, I do have a load of light clusters (front and rear) that could be re-homed for a consideration ;)

Cheers guys...

Signature pic removed sorry

I am going to fit the bumper without any extensions for now and see what it looks like... I was just worried when it comes to MOT time wether they will fail it as unsafe...

I think ill fabricate some tapered ends when that time comes

As for the light clusters, Im ok (FOR NOW) cheers, i could do with a set of spot lights tho

If you can help

Cheers

Chris

I have a pair of Cibie (super?) Oscar driving lights I may be about to remove from my truck. One looks very good, the other has the beginnings of some staining on the outer edge of the reflector. Would be fine on an offroader though :P :P :P

No idea of what they are worth but will have a quick check on the bay to get some ideas. PM if interested and make me an offer.

Mark