Oil Labelling

eds

I was in Wilko and they sell 15/40 5ltrs for £10.

I was trying to understand the oil labeling to see if this oil was up to much.

It then got me thinking, was I even using the right oil?

The Wilko oil is ACEA A3/B3 API CF CF4

The Drivetec oil I currently use is ACEA A3 B3 E7 SL CF CG4

I have used Halvaline always before ACEA A2 B2 API CF/SL

How would one know which is the best oil to use and how would you identify it?

I am hoping someone knows!

Thanks

Ed

As long as it meets or exceeds the specifications set out by the vehicle manufacturer, there shouldn't be a problem.

If it's any help, I've used Wilko's oil in SWMBO's little Lupo and not had any problems. I tend to use 'budget' oil and change it often...

Answer from my mate in the industry:

=============================

Right, here's a crash course in engine oil labels (just the official industry body ones, not the OEM specs, 'cos that's a whole load more stuff);

API ones are easy. They are American, but recognised across the world. API stands for American Petroleum Institute. Their specs are fairly logical to understand. Anything starting with an S means Spark, anything with a C means compression, so therefore gasoline and diesel respectively. Then with each generation of spec they have gone a letter higher in the alphabet, but retain back-compatibility to anything that has gone before it. So in the instance given below, Drivetec CF & CG-4 > Wilko CF-4 > Havaline CF.

The ACEA nomenclature is much less logical. (ACEA is the European automobile manufacturers association, from the French "Association des Constructeurs Européens d' Automobiles").

ACEA are much more specific in what the performance of the oil actually is. A = Petrol, B = Diesel and C = Catalyst compatible or low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulphur).

Unlike API the ACEA specs are split into performance/application categories as follows:

A1 Fuel economy petrol

A2 Standard performance level (now obsolete)

A3 High performance and/or extended drain

A4 Reserved for future use in certain direct injection engines (so ignore this one)

A5 Combines A1 fuel economy with A3 performance

B1 Fuel economy diesel

B2 Standard performance level (now obsolete)

B3 High performance and/or extended drain

B4 For direct injection car diesel engines

B5 Combines B1 fuel economy with B3/B4 performance

C1-04 Petrol and Light duty Diesel engines, based on A5/B5-04 low SAPS, two way catalyst compatible.

C2-04 Petrol and light duty Diesel engines, based on A5/B5-04 mid SAPS, two way catalyst compatible.

C3-04 Petrol and light duty Diesel engines, based on A5/B5-04 mid SAPS, two way catalyst compatible, Higher performance levels due to higher HTHS.

Put simply, A5/B5 > A3/B3 >> A2/B2

(while C3 oils are the better quality, stay in grade performance oils).

So in the example, the A3 / B3 of the Wilko and Drivetec are equivalent and both better than the lower standard of the Havaline with its very basic A2/B2 claim.

The extra ACEA E7 claim on the drivetec oil is part of a whole extra 'E' series of ACEA specs for heavy-duty diesel engines. So it might be of interest to Truck owners, but not to people running about in a Freelander. (E7 is a reasonable level of performance by the way).

So in summary, Drivetec am the best (by spec anyway), with Wilko second, before Havaline in a distant third place.

It would also be worth checking out what other descriptive claims the Havaline oil makes vs the Wilko stuff. It may have more performance reserve or beneficial properties beyond what's written in the spec. If they are relevant to what you want out of your vehicle, or problems you encounter, it could be worth something [i work in marketing in the oil industry, so I have to say that!]

As a general rule though, check the manufacturer's recommendation for your vehicle and pick one that meets what it specifies. If it references an API spec, make sure you choose something at least as high in the alphabet. If it's ACEA for a car, consult the table above.

Hope that helps.

===============

Wow that does help!

It is interesting that it is still not totally obvious though.

For instance the Wilko Oil and the Drivtec oil share the ACEA specifiaction of A3/B3 but the API says that Drivetec is better.

Does anyone know what the spec is supposed to be for a 200tdi? I have seen something about CC3 but not simply put so can't be sure.

I certainly did not know anything about oil and it just shows why the local dealership have been selling me Halvaline oil at A1/B1 claiming it is the best when in fact it is cheap cheap.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it Mr Freezer!