Air Filter Leaking Oil - 200tdi

Hi,

After an 800km trip yesterday I noticed that I seems to have oil dripping from the rubber breather outlet thingy at the base of the air filter housing and which has run down via the power steering pump onto the steering drop-arm. At first I thought it was the power steering pump but it seems not to be the case. Does anyone know why this should suddenly have happened? In other respects everything else seems to be fine apart from a gradual drop in oil pressure over the past 6 months or so however I don't know if these two facts are connected.

Thanks

it'll be from the crankcase cyclonic breather on the side of the cylinder head, it's piped into the air filter so the vapours will be burnt inside the engine, just take the filter element out & wipe up any oil residue from inside the filter housing 7 off the filter element, it's nothing to worry about provide you don't get loads of reallty thick oil goo. would be worth removing & cleaning the cyclonic breather with parafin or meths to clean it's insides, make sure it's completely dry before refitting & running the engine.

Thanks Ralph. Any ideas why this should suddenly have happened? I did change the oil for a thicker 20/50 a while ago;would this have had anything to do with it? I noticed that the large flexible hose from the turbo is well oily inside. Does this matter? Is there something I should clean inside the little black plastic thingy (sorry for non-technical word) on the side of the rocker cover where the crankcase breather comes from? And why do things always go wrong with a vehicle when you're about to sell it????!!

Recommened oil for a Tdi is 15W/40 so the change to a thicker grade might have a hand in the excess oil in the filter, if you can clean out the hoses to, might be able to pull a rag through to get most of the oil out, there's no removable parts in the 'little black can' just a good drowning/shaking about in meths/turps or parafin will be fine.

as for why before selling, I think the 110 wants to stay with you, it's way of saying don't sell me :lol:

I changed to a thicker oil in a (failed) attempt to raise the oil pressure. Will clean out as advised and hopefully that'll be that! I hoping to buy a Disco as its a bit more comforatble for the long motorway journeys although I really don't want to sell the 110 as its been so flippin' reliable! C'est la vie (as they say in Sarkozy-land!

The drop in oil pressure might be due to your engine getting a bit tired which will also raise the crankcase pressure due to the wear on the pistonrings.

The higher crankcase pressure brings more oil under the valve cover.

Changing to a thicker oil in combination with de low temperatures only makes the problem worse because the thicker oil has more problems running back down to the sump i.e. even more oil stays on top under the valve cover and gets blown into the air filter.

Better change back to 15W40 and have the compression en oilpump checked