Camel Trophy Watches

tuko

I'm looking at a used Camel Trophy watch on one of the popular bidding sites here in Sweden. I'm wondering if this watch is from the same time period and possibly one of the "types" used during the Camel Trophy.

So, what I'm looking for (with not much luck so far) is a site or at least more information as to what types of watches were avail at the time of Land Rovers involvement with the Camel Trophy, does anybody here have any suggestions/ideas ?

Here is the watch in the mean time.

Todd.

post-194-1214749159_thumb.jpg

I'm looking at a used Camel Trophy watch on one of the popular bidding sites here in Sweden. I'm wondering if this watch is from the same time period and possibly one of the "types" used during the Camel Trophy.

So, what I'm looking for (with not much luck so far) is a site or at least more information as to what types of watches were avail at the time of Land Rovers involvement with the Camel Trophy, does anybody here have any suggestions/ideas ?

Here is the watch in the mean time.

Todd.

I have 2 camel trophy watches. One like the one above and one camel trophy dress watch (which is nice but a pain as it is made of nickel which sets of the sercuty alarms at airports :rolleyes: )

But they are all going to be old by now as to us the camle trophy has been gone for 10 years now .

But the camel franchise was picked up by all sorts, Boots , clothing , lighters, tents , you name it they put the name and badge on it and sold it. This web site shows some stuff that might still be able for sale. Camel shop

Although alot of camel trophy stuff came from abroad as the camel trophy was alot more popular around the rest of the world than in the uk. France and spain were mad for it and the bits that came with it. I remeber being in france and seeing a whole selection of camel watches in a watch shop. But could not find them at all in Uk. After all i bought my camel trophy dress watch in Singapore where they had the same sort of thing as france.

But as i said you will lucky to find new stuff as it is getting on a bit since they stopped doing the camel trophy

The official CT team watches used in the actual event are not like the one shown in the picture...I know because I have one. It's numbered #62 and was issued for the 1996 running of the CT.

As Ali has pointed out there was alot of interest in the brand name at the time so they bought out a whole range of watches, bags, clothes etc. Some of the watches were very nice...some are plain carp that didn't do the brand name image any justice at all.

I am also looking for a new strap for my CT Team watch. This rather special strap has a safety feature that prevents the watch from failing off should the strap pins break. I also have one of the CT chrono watches like shown in the picture...but a different colour scheme (mines brown and gold). What are they worth now then? I might be tempted to part with the Chrono watch. I still have both the CT tin boxes and 100% of the paperwork, stickers etc that came with them. I reckon they are quite collectable now then?

There is a shop selling some of the old stock CT watches over here, but they are not the nice designer watches...usually the plastic cheaper end of the range.

My Mate Heinz Kallin won the event for Germany back in the 80's when they first used the Defender 90. He gave me the winning CT metal plaque from the roofrack! Heinz works over here now as an off road instructor and survival expert. He also has his own company doing the kind of stuff most of us only dream about....Terraincognita. They take film crews any where in the world by 4x4, balloon, white water rafts, micro-lites etc.