Injetction pump help

Hello one and all, I have discovered I have a 3 wire version of the fuel pump on my 300tdi.

As below:

DSCF0147-1.jpg

What I'd like to know is, I believe one of these is a negative wire and another a 12v feed from the ignition and the final one a live from the immobiliser.

Is this right?

If so, do I just need to take the earth to a good earthing point. and then take a wire to the 12v ignition wire? And then one to the immobiliser?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Regards

Andi

You only really need one of those wires to be connected. First you have to destroy the plug they go into, then figure out which wire is required. Then you are back to the original one-wire system which is less prone to failure.

Wires have different colours for a reason.

They enable those of us with the information to 'know' which wire goes where, or at least where we expect it to go.

As well as telling us the colours of these wires, please tell us if they are part of the wiring associated with the V8, or part of the wiring associated with the 300TDi. Even if you don't know what they do, you must know whether you added them at the same time you added the engine.

Naming wires.

Some wires have one colour, in which case the name is easy.

Somes wires have two colours (but never more than two). In this case there is a main colour and a stripe. The main colour comes first, the stripe colour comes second. This convention enables us to use the same colours twice, but in a different order. Thus we can differentiate between a White/Red wire (which goes to the small spade on the starter solenoid) and a Red/White wire (which goes to the lights in the instruments).

So, tell us the colours of the wires that you have been applying 12 volts to in your last test.

Secondly, do you have a test bulb that you can clip on a wire or terminal and show when 12 volts is on that wire?

You must have something, as you could tell the difference between different wires coming from the ignition switch.

Cheers.

Right, the wires on the stop solenoid are:

White - red trace

Black - purple trace

Brown - I don't think there is a trace on this one.

I can't check which one is live as The engine has come from a donor 300 tdi and I have a V8 body.

I need to take a 12v supply to one of the above wires.

Has anyone done this before??

Thanks in advance

Andi K

In a previous thread you wanted to know which wire from the ignition switch should be attached to the stop solenoid, and we appeared to solve that query.

In this thread you picture a unit which you call a 3 wire pump, but which is then identified as an "egr control potentiometer which you can un bolt and throw away".

However, now you appear to be trying to connect the three wires somewhere, which is confusing if you have removed the EGR Control Potentiometer.

You seem to be responding to Jim Attrill's advice to connect one wire, although he doesn't say which wire, or where he suggests you connect it to. I confess I was, and still am, confused by Jim's advice, so cannot build on his comment to offer further guidance.

Stepping back, are you absolutely certain you have identified the stop solenoid, described by Raceface120 as "on the back of the pump where the 4 injector pipes come out"?

If you have, how many terminals does this have?

What colour wires have you connected?

White - red trace

Typically, a wire with this colour this is only live, with full 12 volts, when the ignition key is is the Start position.

An example use will be from the Ignition switch to the starter solenoid, or a separate relay which will then feed power to the starter solenoid.

(Basic White is unfused 12 volts, when the ignition is switched on).

Black - purple trace

Typically, a wire with this colour is at Earth potential, but when a switch is thrown, is connected to a unit with full 12 volts on the other side. An example will be an engine fan, or the relay controlling it.

(Basic Black is a full Earth. Basic Purple is permanent 12 volts, but via a fuse).

Brown - I don't think there is a trace on this one.

(Basic Brown is full 12 volts, all the time. Originally with no fuse, although in more modern LRs it can be fed via a large (60 amp) fuse).

Are these three wires in the main wiring loom, attached to the body, or do they form a short loom, attached to the EGR unit?

Looking at the Defender 300TDi wiring diagram, there is only one 3 terminal device associated with the EGR, and the wires are Red/Blue, Red/Black, & Pink/Black.

Searching the same diagram, there is no Black/Purple wire anywhere.

Note this is a diagram for a 1995 on Defender.

The conclusion is that it's likely the wires you have found are from the 1989 V8 CSW wiring loom, but I can't find Black/Purple in that wiring diagram either.

It's causing me a slight head ache to say the least

You ain't the only one.

What year of car did the 300TDI come from?

Does it have an ECU associated with it?

Is the accelerator pedal connected mechanically to the pump (via a conventional cable)?

Does this cable move a control lever on the pump, or an electrical throttle position switch (or potentiometer)?

Sorted.

Remove the black box, which has an internal circuit board and immobiliser, either by way of drilling out the 2 studs or landrover tool number one and three (large hammer and chissel).

This will reveal the stop solenoid hidden inside the box!

Great.

I now just have to get it running :)