What to look for

gazeddy

im looking at buying a freelander. from what i can gather im scraping the bottom of the barrel with my budget of around 1200.

what should i look for?

im aware of the petrols hgf problems.

if its been converted to 2wd how hard is it to put back 4x4?

dont mind getting my hands dirty or buying a non runner.

Having just sold my 1.8 I'd say they are actually well worth a look becuase everyone is terrified of the HGF, as long as you are careful what you buy they can be a bargain runabout. I did 40k in mine with no issues.

2WD just means unbolting the rear propshaft & viscous unit, although people do sell a rather pointless IRD blanking plate which lets you remove the drive flange from the gearbox too. Bell Engineering will sell you a recon VCU for £200 if you have an old one to send back, if the owner has ditched the propshaft or VCU then you need to buy one and expect the VCU to be seized.

1200 should get you something OK-ish, maybe scruffy or needing work. On the plus side, the parts are mostly cheap enough, they're not too bad to work on and they don't rust.

Search back through the forum for "buying advice" or similar, it's all been covered many times before.