worrying noises from prop, or handbrake drum, or elsewhere....!?&#

Not strictly speaking true..... there is a way to get a few more miles out of it (although it could be described as a bodge).

You get the spline wear because the input gear isn't a cross drilled one, the cross drilled one has longer splines than the non cross drilled. So you get to run on the unworn parts of the splines on the gearbox, I have done this on an R380 so I don't know if the same applies to the lt77 .... anyway I've done about 12000 miles since changing the input gear and I haven't got my clunk back yet ..... my worn splines were almost completely gone at the time I changed the gear.

As right as you are, and its certainly something i'd do myself, its not something I'd recommend to someone I didn't know. I didn't know the splines were longer in a cross-drilled gear either...learn something new every day!

In fairness I was merely pointing out this may be an option. I discovered this on the internet and it worked for me, now I sound like one of those 'weight loss' or 'teeth whitening' ads! :)

I don't think I have made out it's anything more than a way to eek out the last remaining miles before a gearbox replacement. I will pull my input gear when I get a chance and see how the remaining splines are holding up, I'll pop a picture up if it's anytime soon.

• 5 months later...

I had the chance to pull the input gear today to check on the spline wear.

This pic is as the shaft was before the cross drilled input gear was fitted.

post-25689-0-45593100-1351807530_thumb.jpg

This is the same shaft after 16000 miles use with the cross drilled gear.

post-25689-0-94300000-1351807502_thumb.jpg

This is the inside of the input gear

post-25689-0-96058100-1351807511_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the camera phone quality.

Anyway I'm happy so far as there doesn't seem to be any more wear, hopefully the photos also show this. No idea how long it will last though.