300tdi 'head on' valve spring compressor

I attached this file to my previous post (smoking 300tdi) in the dfender forum, but then realised that it wouldn't be seen by people who may need it, so I thought I'd share it in its own topic.

Its a tool to compress valve springs to change stem seals without removing the cylinder head.

I've seen on other posts that people ask if its possible but no definitive answers are given. Well, with this tool not only is it possible, its easy!

Its made of a piece of 30 x 5mm steel bar and takes about 20 minutes to make with an angle grinder and a sturdy vice.

pdf.gif 300tdi valve tool.pdf 170.28K 1 downloads

1/ Remove rocker cover, rocker shaft, valve caps and glowplugs

2/ Bring the appropriate piston up to TDC to support the valve

3/ Fit tool over rocker shaft stud or studding screwed into bolt hole, with the fork on top of the valve spring and the heel on the edge of the rocker box between the injectors, padded with a thin piece of ply or similar.

4/ Fit the nut and washer and screw down until the collets can be removed (a magnetic pick up tool is perfect for this)

5/ Remove the tool and spring, prise off the old seal, fit new seal and reverse proceedure.

Tip: pack paper tussue or rags around the push rod tubes to prevent collets or valve caps making a bid for freedom !

The whole job, including removing the bonnet etc, can be done in 3 hours or less.

It might work on 200tdi or earlier engines but may need modifications to the dimensions.

I hope its of some use.

• 11 months later...