Clutch push rod retaining clip

On Friday, gear changing became more and more difficult, until the clutch failed to disengage completely. So over the weekend I have replaced the pedal and M/S with a new 'easy' spring one (if you know what I mean) and the slave cylinder. Turns out that the previous owner used the disco clutch damper and possibly slave cyl as it's a different thread.

Anyway, try as I might using the bit of pipe, mirror and third hand method to replace the push rod clip, it wont. The old one came out with only one 'leg' and when I managed to push the replacement one on it's legs bent, are now touching and wont spring back, so the push rod is loose again!

My questions are......

1. Are there different widths of clip, the slot in the release arm seems narrower than the legs of the clip?
  2. Does it do anything anyway, is it just there to aid assembly?

Thanks

Richard

I had exactly the same problem. Spent literally days under the landy trying to get the clip in place. Tried absolutley everything from mirrors to fishing wire. No luck!

As much as many people will disagree with this method. I drilled a hole in the bell housing, 20mm wide. The clip was then fitted first time. I then made a gasket and bolted on a cover plate and plenty of instant gasket. Worked a treat really.

• Like 1

Thanks Souster,

Its been a long day ! could you tell me where you drill the bell housing, and how it helps please?

Thanks

Richard

Ive actually sold the land rover now (not due to that). But i just drilled a hole 20-30 with a tank/hole cutter just below where your trying to locate the pushrod clip in the bell housing. Locate the clip in seconds. then actually used a EGR blanking plate if i remember correctly, drilled and tapped two holes either side of the hole youve cut. And bolted the plate on. If it seals exhaust gas pressure, it will seal water and other debris, plus looked nice and neat.

Im not suggesting this method is for everyone, but it was that or gearbox out for me. So that was the only option and it worked a treat and cost £5

Hi!

Not sure if we have the same gearbox, but here is my thread: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=89405

Initially it was a nightmare.

But I managed. In Sweden we have plastic pipes which you run electric cables in, inside the walls of a house. (So that you easily can exchange cables id they break!) To extend this plastic pipes, there are small adapter tubes, which fit over two pipes.

I used one of each and glued the adapter to the clip. Means the small adapter is still on my clip even now when slave cylinder is back in place.

But I also had to bend the arms a little before they would engage and even when finally engaged they eaasily poped out. Its tight!

But the clip is (as I understood it) only to aid assembly, but I would not skip it during actually assembly.

/Martin