MOT emissions advice

Bit of advice please, I have recently finished my Whitbread spaceframe Disco 3.9 auto pickup. It's on the road, and all running well. My query is, the MOT certificate tested it as a Non-catalyst equipped vehicle, but it has a cat and lambdas. It's a 1998 disco base, and I would prefer to remove the cats as it runs better in non cat mode, and I would prefer a straight through system. Does the testing category sound correct? maybe it's because it is a non-passenger vehicle now.

Any ideas?

Charlie

P5271201.JPG

It wouldn't change from M1 to N1 class wothout you knowing about it. N1 are limited to 60 on dual carriageways and might be 50 on national speed limit roads.

After around '95 if fitted with a cat originally it should keep the cat. Many get through ok but I think the mot can be failed now if the tester spots it is missing.

...it's also worth remembering that an MOT pass isn't a stamp to say the vehicle is thoroughly road legal. Many aspects of the Construction and Use regs aren't directly tested for by the MOT test as this is mainly intended to check for wear and tear and age related deterioration from a previously approved model or vehicle.

Long and short of that is you may pass MOT but fail a more thorough road side check.

Checking back through old mot's some years they checked the cat, I assumed that it automatically decided on the testing from the number pate, but it seems not. I think I will have to continue running in cat mode. I'm not sure if the cats are any good, I will have to get them checked closer to the next mot.

The issue I get running in cat mode, is that as the engine warms up, I get a power loss and backfire at about 80deg c but as soon it gets hotter, it's fine and doesn't occur again. When I log it on Rovergauge, I'm getting very erratic swings in lambda at this point. I've tried new probes, but get the same result. Very odd..

5 hours ago, WesBrooks said:

I think the mot can be failed now if the tester spots it is missing.

It can and they do. I fell fowl of this last time and all he said was I can't prove that the engine is t the older 3.5 with injection on it. My system now has a cat