What is the best Diagnsotics to buy?

CJ1

I have a 1996 Gems 4.6 petrol V8 Range Rover P38.

I am looking at buying a diagnostics tool.   Budget is £300 as borrowing the money from my Mum short term.

I have seen Lynx and Hawkeye.  

What is the best one to get?  

I know it is only peoples opinions but need to know of any issues of these or maybe other devices not connecting or not covering all aspects of the diagnostics system.

Cheers in advance.

I've got a nanocom from Black Box Solutions myself & found it a good all rounder , its a bit expensive new at £430 , but I purchased a second hand one off ebay for £220 , but you would have to wait for one to come up , Regards , Paul .

Hiya,

I considered a Nanocom as a mate has one,but didn't like the small screen and the way it displays faults etc. So I bought a Lynx, as I prefer the graphical display. I use it with my tablet which always goes with my on my adventures anyway. Also I use it on a D2 not a RR.

However I'm disappointed with some aspects of the software and support. For example my central locking was set up to only unlock the drivers door first and then a second push on the key fob unlocked the other doors. So I wanted to reprogram it to unlock all doors with a single push on the fob. The Lynx wouldn't do it. My mates Nanocom sorted it out in um, probably seconds! The Lynx looks like its been upgraded or about to be upgraded to a new version, I don't know what thats like.

Cheers, James